Add Directv in New Room

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fitz0524

Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
I want to add Directv into a new room. I currently have it set up in three rooms, and I want to add it in a 4th. I already have the 4th receiver. There is a coax cable running from the wall in the new room to the attic, but I don't know what to do with the cable in the attic.

Can someone point me to a good discussion on how to do this or let me know the best way.

Thanks.

Before we point you in the right direction, please tell us what dish you have now and what model receivers? DVRs or regular? Do you have HD?

Thanks for the reply. The dish is Slimline-5. My current receivers are -

1) HR20 - HD DVR
2) H21 - HD
3) D11

In the new room, I am trying to add another D11. I do not need HD or DVR in the new room.

Thanks for your help.

OK, thanks for the link and info.

I am a little confused about where the multi-switch should go. Currently the dish is on my roof, and all of the wires (coax cables) seem to originate from a mess of wires and connections outside the house under the deck. Is that where the switch should go? Is it OK to put the switch outside?

If so, how can I figure out which wires go into the input for the multi-switch, and which go into the output?

Thanks for your help.

Yes, they are indoor/outdoor switches and are fine outside. All four lines coming from the dish go into the 13v/18v inputs. It doesn't matter which line goes in what port, just as long as all four are connected. As for the eight outputs, pick a port and screw it in. All eight do the same job and send the exact same signal, so it doesnt matter which output you use.

Thanks for your help. One other question ...

Does the multi-switch require any power? Does it need to be plugged in or does it require a special power adapter? I guess I'm just wondering if I can just take it out of the box and hook it up or if there is anything else I will need to do when I get it.

Thanks.

One thing that is important: unplug your receivers/dvrs before disconnecting and reconnecting them to the multiswitch. It's unlikely, but you could short them out if you touch the center conductor of the cable to the outside of the jack.

Status
Please reply by conversation.