Add Hopper

gitpicker

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
illinois
Hi. I've been a member of this forum for 2 years now, and have learned a lot. I will be out of contract with Dish in a few weeks. I have one hopper sling and 2 joeys. I want to replace the Joey in the kitchen with a Hopper. Tired of the lag in the joey, and the extra space and turners will be great. I want to do the install myself instead of waiting on a tech and taking time off of work. Should I talk with a DIRT member? I did a chat with Dish, and they wanted to schedule an install. I said I would think about it, and CALL back. I also asked for a discount to stay with Dish, and chat person said they would forward my info to the accounts dept. Haven't hear back yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will stay with Dish, as we are very happy with our service.

Hi. I've been a member of this forum for 2 years now, and have learned a lot. I will be out of contract with Dish in a few weeks. I have one hopper sling and 2 joeys. I want to replace the Joey in the kitchen with a Hopper. Tired of the lag in the joey, and the extra space and turners will be great. I want to do the install myself instead of waiting on a tech and taking time off of work. Should I talk with a DIRT member? I did a chat with Dish, and they wanted to schedule an install. I said I would think about it, and CALL back. I also asked for a discount to stay with Dish, and chat person said they would forward my info to the accounts dept. Haven't hear back yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will stay with Dish, as we are very happy with our service.
Have you seen the diagrams for a 2 Hopper installation? You probably have a Solo Node and it will need to be replaced with a Duo Node. The coax going to the kitchen will have to be 3GHz RG6 (could already be, just need to confirm). Any splitters in that line will need to be removed. I'm hoping that the splitters are at the Solo Node and not somewhere down the line closer to the two Joeys.

Dave

Pretty sure purchasing will be the only option if you want to self-install. You'll need to purchase at minimum the Hopper, Duo Node, and enough cable for a third run from Dish to node.

The purchase price vs ETF math often doesn't support the purchase cost just to avoid a commitment, but for a single Hopper could make sense. An upgrade ETF is only $10 per remaining month of the two year term. The term is from the day of install, not added onto the current term.

Note purchasing does not save anything on the monthly bill.

Dish will usually do weekend appointments.

Pretty sure purchasing will be the only option if you want to self-install. You'll need to purchase at minimum the Hopper, Duo Node, and enough cable for a third run from Dish to node.
Ah, yes. Forgot the third run from the dish. That's what I get for talking about something I've never done (going from Solo to Duo).

uploadfromtaptalk1440515537849.png

Only difference is , you can hook the one Joey right up to the node.
Since you only have one.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...c40VLC-cHs5C0FmOA&sig2=K3xE9kDSs4e7XoVKhBE45A

Excellent info. All my runs are new, as I helped the Dish installer run the cables. He had injured his knee a few days earlier, but still kept the appointment. Dish is pole mount outside my living room, and sling Hopper. I didn't realize Dish made weekend appointments. That would be great. And I would need the duo node, of course. Looking at the diagrams from Troch puts it all in perspective. Dishdepot is a good looking site, Mike D. I'll have to keep that in mind. I'll probably just get a free Hopper with Sling and have Dish install it. I don't mind being under contract, as my wife doesn't want to switch. Thanks so much to everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts