2 hoppers

kpip99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
What are the advantages and disadvantages of having 2 hoppers ? Currently have 1 hopper , 1 super Joey , 1 wireless Joey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are some off of the top of my head.

Disadvantages:
  1. Not fully integrated:
    1. Each Hopper can only see its own tuners.
    2. Must manually look at other Hopper to see recordings
  2. $2 more a month

Advantages :
  1. Twice the Hard drive space
  2. If you lose a Hopper you can watch TV without waiting for a replacement (has happened to me twice)
  3. With multiple family members you can separate timers and recordings if wanted (1 for Kids, and 1 for parents)

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
If I'm setting up timers on the living room hopper and there's a conflict will it automatically revert to bedroom hopper ? Or do I have to go to bedroom hopper and set up the timer that had conflict ?

I'd rather have two Hoppers than a Hopper with Super Joey combo. Like darrengs, one of my Hoppers failed twice. Also having separate timers, recordings and hard drive space is nice.

Take the plunge. Go for two Hoppers. Two bucks extra a month is worth it.

If I'm setting up timers on the living room hopper and there's a conflict will it automatically revert to bedroom hopper ? Or do I have to go to bedroom hopper and set up the timer that had conflict ?

Yes, it will do that now since they will be on the same node. As far as "full integration" that's not a big deal to me, you can pull up and view the recordings on each one from the other. You can keep up with the timers on the iPad/iPhone app for each and see what is going on that way.

Yes, it will do that now since they will be on the same node. As far as "full integration" that's not a big deal to me, you can pull up and view the recordings on each one from the other. You can keep up with the timers on the iPad/iPhone app for each and see what is going on that way.
With two Hoppers, things can go a little faster if you can remember which one recorded what show/episode.

What is best way to go about getting 2nd hopper ? I've heard you have to go through a local retailer.

What is best way to go about getting 2nd hopper ? I've heard you have to go through a local retailer.

I would suggest contacting DiRT to see about upgrading your SJ to a second Hopper.

Also you can link your Wireless Joey to whichever Hopper you want and control Timers that way, I do it all the time and the main reason why I opted to put my Joey in the Family Room instead of a Hopper.

So with one hopper I have 4 tuners ? And with 2 hoppers I'll have 8?

1 Hopper has 3 tuners, 2 Hoppers have 6 tuners. If you add an OTA adaptor/s (with an OTA antenna) you can add 1 tuner each....

Also, just to make sure it is known and aware, although each hopper has 3 tuners, if using any of the local channels(Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC) than you get all four channels using just 1 tuner. That goes for watching and recording, but since 2 hoppers are not fully integrated they would not be shared for viewing live between the two rooms. The Joey can share the channels for viewing though.

And you only need to set ONE of the Hoppers for PTAT because you can access those recordings from the OTHER Hopper. This makes for a very efficient use of both Hoppers without unnecessary redundancy that allow the whole house to access PTAT recordings on that ONE Hopper.

While one Hopper will use the other to record content if the Hopper you are at will have a conflict (it is an OPTION presented at the time, you don't have to agree with the suggestion), it still creates the timer on that OTHER Hopper, so you may have to go to the other Hopper if you no longer want that timer (Record Series. etc.) to fire. Of course, with a ONCE timer, that timer will erase itself.

Can you move a recorded show from one hopper to the other like you can do from hopper to external hard drive ? Not sure there would ever be a reason to do that but I'm just wondering