Add OTA to existing dish steup?

blanquitoman1984

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Fontana, CA
View attachment Dish Network Home Set Up.pdf

This is what I am working with. I am trying to add an attenna to the Home Office is there a way to do this? Possibly by adding another T. How would the channels work if I am tuning into a channel for Dish and the other locals with antenna. The reason being is that most of the time I see local channels, but If I wanted to see a recording or anything off the Dish I would still like to be able to do that too. i hope I am not asking to much. Any help would be much appreciated.

Can you recommend one?

How would the channel tuning work? I currently tune to channel 60 to watch the satellite, what if I want to see tv from the antenna would channel 60 OTA channel show or the one from the satellite? Will this in any way affect TV 1(Master Bedroom) also or just TV 2 (Kids room and Home Office)?

On the back of your dish receiver look to see if you have an antenna input. If you do then hook antenna to that input. Then on your dish remote, push buttons menu,6,9(local channels) and auto scan.

What equipmrnt do you have? Are you using a TV or a computer in the home office? Are you using the satellite tuner to process the OTA antenna?

If you are using a VIP receiver with ATSC tuner all you need is to run the OTA to the satellite receiver and then continue to use ch60 to watch everything on, no splitter changes needed.

Update to previous reply. Connecting the antenna to the the dish receiver will only give you locals on tv 1. For tv2, the remote tv's, you have to get the antenna connection directly to the tv's through the splitter as mentioned before.

What I did not think about is that I need a converter box in order to see TV from the antenna. I will just use one converter box only for the home office. Would there be anything different that I would do?
Sorry for throwing more things into the mix.:eek:

If you have an ota tuner built in or added with a k series, all you need to do is connect your ota antenna to the coax input and the do a scan for locals. You will only be able to see the ota locals on tv1 if your in dual mode, you should be able to see Dish's feed of you locals, but if you switch to single mode you can see your ota locals from both Dish and your antenna on both tv1 and tv2. Your tv2 would still be tuned to 60.

We would need to know what receiver you have and what device(s) you are using to get satellite signal to those two TVS. You can't just split satellite signal but that might bea switch. As for the OTA how are you plannign to get that to each TV or receiver?

That is assuming that he has a 722k and that he has the optional ota tuner kits installed. At this point I don't think we know what he has and I was hoping that as a forum we could give him enough general information so that he can choose what is applicable to his situation.

This is what I do but I do not need to worry about radiation from 722 to antenna to neighbors.
Code:
DPP44#1--[power insert]-->[Sat 1 722]
DPP44#2------------------>[Sat 2    ]
            +------------<[Out 1+2  ]
            |          +->[Ant in   ]
            |          |
            |          +-----------------+
            |                            |
            +->[#1 UHF/VHF]   [4-out  ]>-+
UHF/VHF ant--->[#2 4-way  ]-->[UHF/VHF]>----TV
DVD out------->[#3    -6dB]   [amp    ]>----DVD in etc.
                              [10dB   ]>-+
                                         |
                                         +-->[rf ]
DPP44#3------------------------------------->[sat]>-->Remote TV
-Ken

Last edited:
I realize I left out some important parts. There are 2 722s with separators on each. The TV outputs of each are on channels 60+62 and 64+66. The 4-way amp feeds each their OTA ATSC signals. The same amp feeds NTSC signals to TVs and an unused DVD recorder.

The remote TV has a 622 fed by a splitter of the sat to its separator and by RF signals. That would make the diagram even less clear.
-Ken

Completed diagram:
Code:
DPP44#1--[power insert]-->[Separator]===>[Sat 1,2 722]
          +-----------------------------<[Out 1+2  #1]
          |                         +--->[Ant in     ]
          |                         |
DPP44#2------------------>[Separator]===>[Sat 1,2 722]
          | +---------------------------<[Out 1+2  #2]
          | |                       | +->[Ant in     ]
          | +->[#1 UHF/]   [4-out]>-+ |
          +--->[#2 VHF ]   [UHF/ ]>---+ [split]>->DVD in etc.
UHF/VHF ant--->[#3 4-in]-->[VHF  ]>---->[2/3/4]>->TV
DVD out------->[#4 -6dB]   [+10dB]>-+
                                    +-->[rf ]
DPP44#3-------------------------------->[sat]>-->Remote 622
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts