add reciever for garage/workshop

brose1958

Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Bainbridge, GA
Hi all, am a newbie to this forum and dish network as well. I have been using a Cband system since the good old days in the '80's so I am very familiar with TVRO systems from that standpoint. A month ago my dad had dish installed at his house. His system consists of a dish 500, and a vip222 receiver with the OTA module feeding his living room and bedroom TV's.

My question: We have a large garage/workshop located about 100 feet from his house. Since we spend most of our time out there we would like to have the ability to watch dish there as well. Coax is already run to the shop and currently hooked up to an OTA antenna atop a 40 foot tower next to the house. Dish antenna is also attached to the same tower. What would be the best and most economical way to accomplish this in your opinion?

My idea is to buy a new or refurbished HD dish receiver and put it in the shop, but how do I hook it up and get the new receiver authorized? I noticed the LNB setup on the dish has 2 outputs. Only one is being used presently. Can I just hook up the coax leading to the shop to the unused output on the dish, install receiver and call dish to authorize it? Could it really be that simple???? Think there would be any problem with signal loss with 150 feet or so of coax between dish and receiver?

Thanks in advance for any ideas, suggestions, and help.
Brad

It could be that simple, just make sure you use RG-6. You can get a pair of diplexers that work with OTA and Dish's sat signal, the first one will combine the two and the second would be right next to the new receiver to split them. How you would need to configure them would depend on where the ota antenna, the dish antenna and the second structure is. The RG-6 should be good for about 200 ft, if the distance is longer, you may have to find some RG-11, also, if you need to amplify the OTA signal, it is better to do it where it is not combined with the sat signal.

^^ yep!

I have a shop that is roughly 200 feet from my house -- I simply put a dish on the south side and connected up a purchased VIP211 out there. Great to listen to the XM radio channels while working :)

Thanks for the responses guys.... Mattv did you hook up and get your VIP211 authorized in the house first and then move it into the shop and connect to 2nd dish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)