Adding 2nd hopper?

I’ve got an install scheduled for Tuesday and only getting 1 Hopper 3 installed. How much more would it cost per month for like a hopper duo or equivalent?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!
You can’t mix a Duo with a Hopper 3. You could add a second Hopper 3 but you would have to buy it outright and there are some wiring requirements for that as well.

I’ve got an install scheduled for Tuesday and only getting 1 Hopper 3 installed. How much more would it cost per month for like a hopper duo or equivalent?
The cost is $15 per month for the second Hopper, regardless of model. As already mentioned, the second Hopper would need to be purchased. You could have two Hopper Duos, or two Hopper 3's, but not one of each.

2 HWSs would cost as much monthly as 2 H3s. For me there is no question if what I would do.
That is true. For me, I would consider the purchase price of the second receiver, if it is required to be purchased. Obviously, two Hopper Duos would be much cheaper to purchase, and also slightly cheaper monthly, due to the reduced DVR fee. However, in this case, since the purpose would be for more Dish Anywhere streams, the Duos would not work for that at all.

A second HWS would be cheaper to purchase than a second H3. The trade-off would be the reduced functionality of the HWS compared to the H3. (Fewer tuners, fewer apps, longer wait time for any new apps to be added, etc.) For the same monthly price, the H3's would be the better option. However, in the case of the HWS, Dish may allow you to lease both Hoppers, instead of requiring one of them to be purchased. Therefore, that would save the purchase price of the second H3, so that is something to consider, if money is tight and if you are not sure if you will want to keep Dish service long-term. (Of course, any lease would require a two-year contract. So, the best option for anyone who is not sure they want to stay would be to purchase all of the equipment. That would also be the option with the highest up-front cost, though.)

Reactions: TheKrell
You can add a second stream to a Hopper of any type by connecting a Sling Box Pro-HD or higher model.

It connects to the component video output and RCA audio output and injects the signal into your ethernet.

Later model sling Boxes connect directly to your HDMI output.

Just curious,
If its connected by component,
How do you control the content of the feed?
I.E.... select/change channel or play dvr program?
You can add a second stream to a Hopper of any type by connecting a Sling Box Pro-HD or higher model.

It connects to the component video output and RCA audio output and injects the signal into your ethernet.

Later model sling Boxes connect directly to your HDMI output.

Sent from my SM-G986U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Just curious,

You control it using an app to send the commands by ethernet, and then the box sends the commands to the receiver with an IR blast, similar to the way that Dish receivers used to be able to control VCR's. (I am sure that someone will correct me if I got any of that wrong.)

Reactions: TheKrell
Just curious,

The Slingbox has an RF blaster that sticks to the front of the Hopper to send proper channel change and administrative commands directly to the Hopper, just as if you were there using your Dish remote. In fact the remote on the screen, when you use it, looks just like your dish remote.

One drawback is that the Slingbox is using the component or HDMI out put as source and therefore anyone who in actually in the room watching the TV connected to the Hopper will be seeing what you see. In essence the SlingBox remotes the actual local viewing to you, where ever you are. It is not another actual output from the Hopper, it sends the local TV signal to the remote user over the internet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts