Adding a 6 foot mesh C-Band to the farm...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks! Actually kind of enjoyable, but frustrating, too. Isn't it odd how those two descriptions go together in the FTA hobby?

Reactions: iBoston
Well, after about 48 hours of having this dish "operational" I've decided two things.

1) Mesh dishes are not my thing. I like solids.
2) 6 foot mesh dishes are not worth the time invested. Not sure how this did in the analog days, but for this digital era, it's a pain.
With everything locked in that can-be, it was still vulnerable to enough motion that locking signal even on 99w was not worth depending on it. Thus, it'll come down, I'll move a solid ku in there, and make room for the next pair of birdviews that come my way.....(stay tuned.)

Granted, a change in the scalar, and HOURS of work may make this much better, and its focus could be off given the lack of care it had in it's previous owner's removal from a roof-mount, but...we'll chalk it up to a GREAT learning experience.

Probably will pull this down this week if weather holds. It'll be a "drive by grab" probably.

...Update!

Pulled the mesh down today. Never did like it after putting it up, never made it permanent with the system. Tried keeping it stable, but..it's just not the build that I'm used-to with either Birdview or solid Ku dishes. So, today...it went away...in favor of...
another 1.2 m channel master...with the transmit side removed....
1.2cmdish1.jpg
and now, it's on the pole...waiting for reassembly....maybe yet tonight or tomorrow after paperwork for relaxatoin.

But I don't know to what I'll aim it. Is LPB still available? Worth it?

I already have fixed BV for 103, Fixed CM dish for 125/PBS, Fixed CM 1.2 for cozi-103, fixed DTN's (CM small) for 97w....

Would this make a nice 99w. Mini-bud so I don't have to use the motorized one for that? With the C-band Scalar adapter for mini bud, would this do in my area?
I know 99W is pretty strong....

Donating the mesh 6 footer less the LNB for recycling. Learned how to fix mesh that's bent and "out' with this one, but...definitely not my favorite. Maybe if it was new with a drive on it.......tried using adapted trailer jack. NOT a good idea. Might work summer, but holds water...(obviously no weather boot, same issues our regular arms get if water intrudes)....and it really didn't seem that stable as a dish. Won't miss it, but had $30 worth of fun with it anyway.

Attachments

• 1.2cmdish2.jpg
    1.2cmdish2.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 1.2cmdish3.jpg
    1.2cmdish3.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 135
I'd save the mesh in case you ever need replacements or patches. Or maybe someone else might need some one day. New mesh is expensive.

Reactions: hank123
I would, but...I don't think I'll ever go back to mesh.....The guy who recycles hasn't come for it, and metal is LOW now in value, if there's a local satelliteguy that wants it, I can store it...but, I think solid Ku and birdviews will be my way. I have (4) birdviews now, and enough ku to get me by. The mesh dish was a fun experiment, I'd never worked with mesh, nor a six footer that was worth a hill of beans. Still haven't.....(Jim Chuckles at this)

Reactions: RimaNTSS
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts