Adding a 722K...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

toofazt

Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
USA
Hi Guys,

I want to replace my old Dish 510 DVR with a new 722K. I will only be using it on one TV. Should I be able to just use my existing coax cable that was plugged into my 510 and plug it into the 722K? Then run a HDMI cable to my TV? If I want to add the OTA module do I just have to run a new coax cable from a OTA antenna to the modual and then the channels will be sent through the HDMI cable like the satellite channels? It looks like there's 6 coax hookups on the back of the 722K with the module... Do I need some sort of splitter for the coax cables coming in? Is there a list of all the accessories / cables that come with the 722K receiver new so I can figure out what I'll need to buy?

I've been reading a lot of topics and there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people here... Sorry if these are stupid questions! :angel: Thanks

722k.jpg

You have most of it figured out but you will probably need two coaxs from the dish to the 722k instead of just one. The included splitter only works with the newer DPP dishs. The 722 comes with just a composite and RF cable.

new things

You need some other things. 1st the dish will have to be replaced with one that gets 3 sats. The 2 inputs for the sat will use what is know as a separator. The OTA can be diplexed to get the antenna in with only using 1 wore. I have always had better luck with have a different coax for it though. Now that has taken care of 3 of the 6 coax connections. 1 of these is for the wireless remote control and the last 2 are for SD TV out. 1 is channel agile ( you can put on one of several channels) the last is for channel 3/4 out. Now did this help I hope.

You need some other things. 1st the dish will have to be replaced with one that gets 3 sats. The 2 inputs for the sat will use what is know as a separator. The OTA can be diplexed to get the antenna in with only using 1 wore. I have always had better luck with have a different coax for it though. Now that has taken care of 3 of the 6 coax connections. 1 of these is for the wireless remote control and the last 2 are for SD TV out. 1 is channel agile ( you can put on one of several channels) the last is for channel 3/4 out. Now did this help I hope.

I hope I don't need to get a new dish... I already have a 722k w/o the OTA module hooked up it the living room by dish. There's just so many wires behind the entertainment center it's hard to see what goes where.

So the splitter that come with the 722k is for the coax coming from the dish, correct? Then I will need one more splitter for the OTA antenna coax (even though I'm only hooking up one TV)? Can you link me to the correct splitter please? All my local channels are UHF if it matters. I don't understand where the channel 3/4 out goes? Will I have a HDMI cable AND coax cable going from the 722k box to my TV?

This will be your second 722K? Then you already have the sat to get HD.

This will be your second 722K? Then you already have the sat to get HD.

Ok good to know. I had dish install the first 722k because it's a leased box but the second one I bought so I'll have to figure out how to hook it up myself. :)

You have 1 722K no OTA module.
You must have an OTA antenna seeing you are planning to connect OTA
You are replacing an existing 510.
You think owning is better or different from leasing.

Seeing you have a 722K you should already have a HDTV dish . That new dish almost gaurantees you have DPP technology so the separator that came with your owned 722K can be connected behind the 722K using the cable that was attached to your 510. If the TV antenna is only being attached to your OTA module on the new 711K you don't need to split the antenna. If a new cable can be run from the antenna to the OTA module it is better than using diplexers. If the new cable is too hard to run you can use a pair of diplexers to get the antenna on the existing coax.

Leasing vs. owning you still pay the same monthly fees you just pay more up front to say you own the box.

You have 1 722K no OTA module.
You must have an OTA antenna seeing you are planning to connect OTA
You are replacing an existing 510.
You think owning is better or different from leasing.

Seeing you have a 722K you should already have a HDTV dish . That new dish almost gaurantees you have DPP technology so the separator that came with your owned 722K can be connected behind the 722K using the cable that was attached to your 510. If the TV antenna is only being attached to your OTA module on the new 711K you don't need to split the antenna. If a new cable can be run from the antenna to the OTA module it is better than using diplexers. If the new cable is too hard to run you can use a pair of diplexers to get the antenna on the existing coax.

Leasing vs. owning you still pay the same monthly fees you just pay more up front to say you own the box.
So you're saying I could get a "duplexer" to hook up to the dish satellite coax cable going into my new 722K and plug that into the OTA hookup on the back of the box? I know I would get better reception if I ran a separate coax cable but then I would also have to buy a OTA antenna. All the local channels are only 25 miles away. How much does a duplexer cost and where can I get one? If you could explain how it would hook up that would be helpful also.

So I don't need to run a coax cable to my telivision, only a HDMI cable, correct?

The only reason I bought a new 722K box instead of leasing is because I'm not sure if I'll be here for another 2 years that the contract would add.

Thanks for your help.

It is DIPLEXER NOT DUPLEXER if you don't have a TV antenna you don't need a cablr for the OTA because you won't have a signal for it. HDMI is the only connection you should need to the TV.

U didn't say that to start with

I hope I don't need to get a new dish... I already have a 722k w/o the OTA module hooked up it the living room by dish. There's just so many wires behind the entertainment center it's hard to see what goes where.

So the splitter that come with the 722k is for the coax coming from the dish, correct? Then I will need one more splitter for the OTA antenna coax (even though I'm only hooking up one TV)? Can you link me to the correct splitter please? All my local channels are UHF if it matters. I don't understand where the channel 3/4 out goes? Will I have a HDMI cable AND coax cable going from the 722k box to my TV?

You didn't say you already had one 722k so I was starting from scratch. If using a diplexer for OTA you have to have 2. 1 to input the OTA into the cable & 1 to break it back out.

I didn't know you needed a specific dish for the 722K, sorry for my ignorance. Would this Diplexer work and if so I would need two, right? [ame="http://www.amazon.com/RCA-D920-Diplexer/dp/B00009W3CJ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1261689090&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: RCA D920 Diplexer: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/11z6BhjYMUL.@@AMEPARAM@@11z6BhjYMUL[/ame]

Now I understand that I need a TV antenna whether or not I use the diplexers. The only thing the Diplexer does is keep you from having to run a second coax cable but at the cost of decreased signal quality. Do you think I would notice a difference with all the TV stations only 25 miles away?

If you don't have a TV antenna connect a set of rabbit ears right to the OTA module and forget about diplexers. If you don't have an antenna you don't need diplexers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)