When will we get true local weather on 8s

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rdinkel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Woodland Park, Colorado
Any update on Dish providing true local on the 8s weather on the Weather Channel? Would like to have similar to what local cable company provides. I understand that it is a much larger issue with thousands of zip codes, but it should be possible.

I'm sure he is talking about how the cable company does it. With local radar (not regional, like dish does) and detailed local info (instead of weather icons) and local warnings. Hence the word "true" in his post.

I think he's referring to the kind that when the "Local On The 8's" runs, you local weather and forecast will show up instead of the national maps and temperatures. Directv has that ability now on its "Locals On The 8's". Dish apparently tried it, but it didn't work out. The Weather Channel interactive is on there, however, but it's not the same as cable.

Let me try again: When watching Weather Channel on most/any cable service the programming will switch to your local radar and local forecast information while the main program is cycling through various regions of the country on the 8s. Would like Dish (HD) to do the same. Will it happen any time soon?

It is available now on the SD version of the channel. But its not on the HD version. (DirecTV has it on both SD and HD)

Thanks, Scott. I did not know there was still the interactive flag on SD--I never watch SD weather. So I just checked it out. Still not what I want. The cable version has written summary and also includes local precipitation for the month, etc. And you do not have to wait for an interactive feature to load.

Bob

Thanks, Scott. I did not know there was still the interactive flag on SD--I never watch SD weather. So I just checked it out. Still not what I want. The cable version has written summary and also includes local precipitation for the month, etc. And you do not have to wait for an interactive feature to load.

Bob
when they install the $10,000 weather star computer in your home

The "Dish interactive" version is a stupid implementation even if a true localized forecast would be made available through it. Why? Because you have to keep interactive mode turned off to avoid the advertising popups on every other channel.

when they install the $10,000 weather star computer in your home

They push down a lot more bandwidth than that for VOD, I presume. So why not something useful instead?

DirecTV's implementation is much closer to what cable has (although not to the super-local level that you get with cable, or as nice graphics), I really see no reason it couldn't be done with the hardware in today's receivers. Even if it can't all be streamed over satellite, it should absolutely be doable over broadband.

More emphasis is put on adding more HD channels and local markets. Once all the local markets and HD channels are up I am sure they will look more into doing that.

Directv...

as I'm sure many of you know....was able to do it in limited version via zip codes. They, for some reason, started it with the sd feed...which gave local (via zip code) weather info then cut to a national radar loop summary. When they added the hd version it features the same local info, but does not cut to the radar summary at the end. Instead it goes to the generic 5-day forecasts for cities nationwide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)