Adding a Dish LNB to a Hughesnet setup

Charon

Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
I was unsure about putting this in the Dish forum or here. But it is a modification to an existing Hughesnet system.

I have a mobile Hughesnet tripod dish setup and would like to add DISH tv to this dish.
I already have a Starchoice LNB but am not thrilled with the offered programming.

Tripod setup is shown in attachment, not my system but looks exactly the same minus the starchoice LNB

The Starchoice LNB screws onto the side of the sat internet LNB right on the grey triangle.
Does anyone know of a dish LNB that could be fitted onto this. Or could I build a bracket/part to fit the LNB at the correct position while the dish is still pointed at a Hughesnet satellite ?

Is there a Dish sat close enough to the Hughes that this could be made possible ?

Attachments

• dishtripod.jpg
    dishtripod.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 630
With that particular dish, you should be able to receive Dish Network signals from satellites 20 degrees to either the east or west of your assigned Hughes satellite. But it takes the right offset bracket (and shims). The cast brackets that Hughes provided assumed your internet was on either the 99W satellite or 117W satellite. Their '2 degree" LNB would then pick up either the 101W DirecTV cluster, or the 119W satellite. Offset brackets that attach to one of the triangular connecting points enabled you to mount up to 3 LNBs simultaneously. What I don't know, is whether the Dish LNB will fit properly on the Hughes cast bracket.

My satellite connection for example, is assigned to 99W. The "2 degree" LNB gets DirecTV at 101, and a left offset bracket with 2 LNBs (one of the HD) catch signals on the bounce from 119W and 110W. If I were assigned to 117W, the "2 degree" LNB would catch the 119W signals, and a right offset would capture 110W and 101W.

That said, Dish programming also comes from 110W and 119W.

Anyway. That's the (comparatively) easy way, as Hughes did the math relative to the offset angles. If your internet connection is not assigned to 99 or 117 - or if the Dish LNB doesn't fit into the Hughes cast bracket - all is not lost. There is a universal offset bracket that will screw into the same triangular location. But you have to find the spot(s) on the bracket where the LNB catches the desired Dish signals on the bounce - provided they come from satellites within the 20 degree limit mentioned above.

//greg//

Wow, thanks for the info.

I am on a mobile system and was told I could use any of the G16 satellites. The primary assigned satellite I use is 99W, so it looks like I can get into dish then.

Where does one go about getting additional offset brackets for the hughesnet system ?

Or the universal offset bracket ? I have one already on the dish for starchoice. But it looks like I can install another on the opposite side. I was unable to find anything on google about buying these brackets.

And would I be required to have the "Lipstick lnb at 2 degrees" Or can I get full dish using just 110 and 119 lnb's

P.S. I am fairly new to this and still figuring how things work.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about how Dish distributes their programming among the various satellites. One of the member dealers/installers here might be able to fill in that gap. They might also be able to tell you if a Dish LNB will fit and aim properly in a DirecTV offset bracket.

If they do fit, I don't think you'll be able to buy new (cast) brackets by themselves, I've only seen them sold as part of the various DirecTV kits. You'll probably have to scrounge the back shelves and used parts bins. I've got some cast brackets and DirecTV LNBs somewhere myself. I'd have to do some digging - but if you're interested I can take photos.

If they don't fit, perhaps consider DirecTV instead of Dish

//greg//

Last edited:
Directv and Dish are both circular. You can take a directv lnb and get dishnetwork programming off of 119 and it would work just like the legacy equipment dish once had. If you wanted to use the 2degree lnb you would need to point at satmax5 at 117. The 2 degree LNB will go on the right side of the lnb if you were looking at the front of the dish. Good luck finding one however. Your best bet is probably going to be getting a directv single lnb dish or dish 500 and using it separate. It will more than likely be less of a hassle for you.

did not know we could upload PDF's I thought at one time it was just image files. I see that we can though. Well here you go. :D

Attachments

• 1035629-0001_3.pdf
    890.8 KB · Views: 565
Just did a quick housecleaning in the shed, found one A-kit (DWUK-A, the +2 degree offset LNB), one B-kit (DWUK-B, the +11 and +20 degree offset bracket) and two C-kits (+10 degree west offset brackets). With the right shims, the C-kit might pick up Dish at 109 and/or 110. Looks like all the mounting hardware and shims are there too. But my A-kit is for a Chinon TRIA, not sure how compatible it would be with your rig (looks like an ISIS or ANUBIS).

There's also 3 standard def LNBs and one HD. These are all shielded, and were working but weathered at the time of de-installation. Shielded LNBs are important, so that they reject any spurious signals generated by your HughesNet transmitter. Not sure you can get shielded Dish LNBs.

//greg//

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts