Adding a leased reciever, fees question

JavaJohnson

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2004
I've been a Dish customer for a few years, with SD service. I currently have just one receiver on my account, which is owned, a 721 (I love that receiver by the way)

I will soon, hopefully, be diving into the HD world. I wanted to take advantage of the 622 upgrade promotion, but I have a question as to how that will go on my account. I don't wish to spend the money upfront to own the receiver, so I will lease it.

Are these my options?

If I get the 622 and replace my 721, I will have to pay the $6 lease fee.
If I get the 622 and add it as a second receiver to my 721, I will pay the $6 lease fee as well.
If I get the 622 and the 721 becomes the second receiver on the account, I would pay $6 lease fee, plus a $5 second receiver fee.

I know all of these options will have the DVR fee, too, so I am just ignoring that for simplcity. Although the DVR advantage package sort of hides that a bit, right?

So, did I properly sum up my options? Will dish allow the 622 as a second receiver, therefore bypassing the $5 second receiver fee? I really don't need the 721 hooked up, so it isn't worth $5/month for me to have it, but if it were free, I would certainly have it hooked up.

As I understand it, upgraded single receiver accounts go from no lease fee to a lease fee of 6.00 for any HD receiver.

I don't know what happens with the lease fees when you add a new receiver. I think if you always have the original receiver it is lease fee free, but as soon as you do something to upgrade it and improve your service, dish socks you with a lease fee for the new technology. I guess the figure if you want it bad enough and do not want to buy the hardware outright you will pay their fees, especially with 'HD'

I think if you pay a lease fee on a receiver, the second receiver fee is waived.

Don't forget the 5.99 DVR fee for the 622 if you have less than the everything pack, KY lube not included. If your account has 250 + 2 premiums, there comes a point where it is only 5-10 dollars more to go with the everything pack as the PVR fee is waived.

I've been a Dish customer for a few years, with SD service. I currently have just one receiver on my account, which is owned, a 721 (I love that receiver by the way)

I will soon, hopefully, be diving into the HD world. I wanted to take advantage of the 622 upgrade promotion, but I have a question as to how that will go on my account. I don't wish to spend the money upfront to own the receiver, so I will lease it.

Are these my options?

If I get the 622 and replace my 721, I will have to pay the $6 lease fee.
If I get the 622 and add it as a second receiver to my 721, I will pay the $6 lease fee as well.
If I get the 622 and the 721 becomes the second receiver on the account, I would pay $6 lease fee, plus a $5 second receiver fee.

I know all of these options will have the DVR fee, too, so I am just ignoring that for simplcity. Although the DVR advantage package sort of hides that a bit, right?

So, did I properly sum up my options? Will dish allow the 622 as a second receiver, therefore bypassing the $5 second receiver fee? I really don't need the 721 hooked up, so it isn't worth $5/month for me to have it, but if it were free, I would certainly have it hooked up.
Adding a leased Vip622 to your current account would in fact add a $6 lease fee and a $5.98 DVR fee. And of course assuming your going to add the basic HD package another $20 for that. Your original 721 receiver however would remain fee free as it is now and would not add a $5 second receiver fee to your account.

Now I remember why I liked the 721 so much... no fees!

But, what if I went with the DVR Advantage pack, with the HD pack,

if my 721 is the first receiver, and the 622 is second, would my bill be like this:

$49.99 DVR Advantage pack
$6.00 Lease Fee
$20 HD pack

So, my bill goes from about $45 now (top 120, or whatever it is called now+locals)

to $76 dollars.

yipes, a 50% increase.... The wife may not like that one, not sure if I do either, though.... Is there really enough HD programming to justify this cost? I can't get HD locals through dish, at least not without lying, and thats probably a good majority of our tv viewing.

And on top of this the initial $99 cost to upgrade the receiver (149-50, i believe). I'm still getting over sticker shock of new TV prices. When did all this technology get so darn expensive?

there is no lease fee if the new leased receiver is placed as the primary receiver on the account. This changed 2/1/07.

there is no lease fee if the new leased receiver is placed as the primary receiver on the account. This changed 2/1/07.

Can you confirm this?? I have not seen this anywhere at work. HD upgrades have 6$ lease fees, if they replace the primary they tend to replace the add'l outlet fee, but I have never seen the lease fee gone entirely.

I would love confirmation of this, also. Maybe even a name or email of someone with dish. A phone call I had with a CEO CSR explained it differently (any leased HD box has $6 lease fee - period).

Mainstreet is correct.

The lease on an upgraded 622 is included in the programing.
But the poster will pay the 5 buck addl rcvr if he keeps the 721 activated.

fred

Here you go....

Attachments

• DIU.JPG
    DIU.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,144
Holy crap, that is awesome. Thanks Mainstreet. About 2 weeks ago I had about a 20 minute conversation with some lady from a ceo email I sent who was POSITIVE that the $6 lease fee was required on a single receiver 622 setup. How she missed this memo is beyond me.

Interestingly enough, I did finally break down and schedule an upgrade to a 622 for this coming Saturday. And the nice CSR who helped me did NOT see a $6 lease fee on any of her screens as she setup the workorder. So is does sound like you are right.

That is great news. The lack of the $6 'nuisance' fee will certainly help push me towards the HD ranks.

Thanks for the help.

Just to confirm what Fredinva and others said: there is no lease fee for a single reciever, DIU upgraded. That is exactly what I did - I moved from a 510 (owned) to a 622 (leased) under the Dishin it up deal ($149 upfront, but free after a $50 dollar rebate and a $100 HD service credit), and simultaneoulsy signed up for the DVRAdvantage program. I just got my Feb. bill and all I pay is:

DVRAdvantage 49.99
HP Pack 20.00

No DVR Fee, no lease fee, no locals fee - it's all included :))
IMHO, this is a great friggin' deal.

Absolutely! I had actually rationalized how long that $6/month would compare to paying $479 outright - 6.6 years! I took the plunge yesterday expecting to pay the $6 lease. This was great to find out. This news needs to be posted (maybe as a sticky) on the DISH HD page. :)

I argued with a CSR last night for a couple hours about this. When I signed up for the DIU upgrade I was specifically told that I would not have to pay a receiver fee for the 622, and since we went from two receivers to one receiver that I would not have any receiver fees on my account. When the bill came, guess what......$5.00 Receiver fee. Two CSR's and two different "supervisors" told me that when you upgrade via the DIU program that you no longer get the deal where the first receiver lease fee is included in the package price.

Where is that attachment from? Is there a source document I can offer to Dish as proof of this policy change? BTW, I did sign up after Feb 1, 2007.

Thanks for this, I was hot last night and ready to cancel, despite loving the product.

A $5 receiver fee doesn't sound like it's for the 622. Any vip receiver lease fee is $6.

I have answered the PM, and I think I can figure it out if I can see the actual bill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)