Adding a new receiver

satnoobi

Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
WA
Hey all,

Basic newbie question that I cant seem to get a laymen answer to.

I have a Dish 500 satellite connected to a 625 SD dual-receiver DVR (2 rooms). No other receivers. I'd like to add another 625 to provide TV to 2 additional rooms. I called Dish and they will charge me $17/mo + $90 installation fee AND I have to enter a 24 month contract.

I really want to avoid the contract. Can I buy a 625 receiver off ebay, run another coax cable from the dish to that receiver myself, and then just call Dish to activate it? Also, any idea how much more per mo they will charge me if I go this route?

Thanks, and sorry for the newb question!

yes you can do that but make sure the reciever you buy dosnt have an outstanding ballance on it by calling dish with the r and s numbers.
Also make sure it has the purple smart card.
I'm not sure how much more per month they will charge you I think its like 7$ receiver charge and the dvr fee

yes, you should be able to buy the receiver,
no you shouldn't have to sign a 2 year contract
and the 90 is the installation fee..

at the top of the forums is a link for DishStore
https://www.dishstore.net/product_i...d=191&osCsid=dccbc4d0b3b08f0543c0fc87bbf802f7

As of March 25th 2005 Dish Network is allowing the 625 to be used in Cash and Carry sales, which means if your an existing DISH Network customer there will be no problems adding this receiver to your account. This would not be a lease, you would actually own this receiver when added to your account.

So ... that being the case .. 65 bucks its yours, you decide if you want to pay 90 for them to install or not ... if they won't send a tech, then request a tech dispatch to relocate one of your current 625's. When the tech arrives, request they leave the old cabling in tact so that you can attach a new 625 that you're expecting. And then when tech has finished relocating the old receiver, I'd call up for the new receiver activation.

At least that's what I'd do...

Thanks everyone. I was confused about if the boxes came w/ smart cards and if they were transferrable, and if I needed a different LNBF/dish. So different than cable!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)