Adding a second HD DVR, purchased from Best Buy

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FlyDeltaJets

Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Current setup (installed by DTV tech):

- Slimline dish with a single coax running into a Directv 4-way splitter in the attic.

- Three of the outputs on the 4-way splitter contain an HD DVR and 2 Standard receivers (three rooms installed)

I'd like to run over the best buy this week and pick up another HD DVR for install in our bedroom. I have already located the cable in the attic that goes to the jack in the room I want to connect. Once I plug the room's jack cable into the fourth output on the directv splitter, the bedroom will be ready for the receiver. My question is:

I notice on my current setup that a single coax goes into a little black box that splits off into two coax cables that go into the HD DVR. Will this same "black box" come with the new unit I purchase from BB? I guess what I'm asking is; can I self-install an additional HD DVR unit by "copying" my current HD DVR setup?

Thanks for the help

How many receivers do you have? It sounds like you have 3 HD DVR's and two standard receivers. If that is the case, you have maxed out the SWM LNB. You can only have a total of 8 tuners on a SWM LNB. Each DVR has two tuners, for a total of six, plus the two standards.

Actually, I only have one HD DVR and 2 Standard receivers at the moment. If 8 tuners is the max, I'm ok once I add the second HD DVR.

How does the activation work if the box isn't bought/leased from DTV?

If you have 1 line to your current DVR then you have SWM. You said (becasuse I actually read the post) that you have 3 lines from the switch - 1 to your DVR and 1 each to your other boxes.

Fourth feed should go right to your new box no problem at all.

Anazing how many folks simply don't RTFQ on this forum. Ready - fire - aim mentality.

GL with your upgrade.

If you have 1 line to your current DVR then you have SWM. You said (becasuse I actually read the post) that you have 3 lines from the switch - 1 to your DVR and 1 each to your other boxes.

Fourth feed should go right to your new box no problem at all.

Anazing how many folks simply don't RTFQ on this forum. Ready - fire - aim mentality.

GL with your upgrade.

I read his post too.....I guess I don't have your superior cognitive ability......:confused:.....you are so amazing...

Are you sure you read it?
This was really clear.
- Three of the outputs on the 4-way splitter contain an HD DVR and 2 Standard receivers (three rooms installed)

Yep, sounds like three of the outputs have an HD DVR plus there are two standard receivers.....total of 8 tuners.......I know what he meant now. To make it more clear, I would have worded it differently.

I did not realize I would get ridiculed for asking a question. It's almost like being on DBSTalk...

Last edited:
Just remember, you do not own that equipment, you just paid an upfront lease fee. It is still the property of DirecTV.

Correct. Would probably be better off on your wallet to just call DirecTV directly and negotiate a better deal. Can easily get one for free if you talk to the right people. ;)

Yep, sounds like three of the outputs have an HD DVR plus there are two standard receivers.....total of 8 tunders.......I know what he meant now. To make it more clear, I would have worded it differently.

I did not realize I would get ridiculed for asking a question. It's almost like being on DBSTalk...

Look at his signature. He thinks Dish will always treat you right and Direct never will. He is a Dish customer, obviously. Why he comes to the Directv forums is beyond me. BTW, I found the original post a bit confusing, too. No reason to feel bad about it or be held to task for it. Just consider the source.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)