Adding a third Hopper

3 Hoppers = possibly too addicted to TV and the post stating that talking to us is pointless?

Just sayin'...

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Bah! I do admit, three Hoppers is a bit overkill. But the Joeys seem unresponsive compared to the hopper, especially the hop w/sling. And this family is addicted to TV, in fact, I'm watching right now!

3 Hoppers = possibly too addicted to TV and the post stating that talking to us is pointless?

Just sayin'...

Questions that begged to be (and were) answered. And never said talking to us was pointless...only true answers for him will come from ONLY from DIRT. :rolleyes:

Questions that begged to be (and were) answered. And never said talking to us was pointless...only true answers for him will come from ONLY from DIRT. :rolleyes:

Mmk jsyk you'd make a terrible diplomat...

Bah! I do admit, three Hoppers is a bit overkill. But the Joeys seem unresponsive compared to the hopper, especially the hop w/sling. And this family is addicted to TV, in fact, I'm watching right now!

I agree the Joeys are a tad sluggish when compared to HwS. Fast enough but I've always been a technology enthusiast :) .

EDIT: Stupid autocorrect!

Every one in while, my Joey remote just stops responding, I'll be using it, and it just stops working, pressing Sat usually fixes it, but sometimes i have to remove a battery for a second. Only happens on Joey though

Every one in while, my Joey remote just stops responding, I'll be using it, and it just stops working, pressing Sat usually fixes it, but sometimes i have to remove a battery for a second. Only happens on Joey though

Hmm never had that kind of issue on my Joey. Guess you changed batteries? Maybe the remote is bad? You could swap remotes with the Hopper to see if the problem follows the remote.

Here is my system for four Hoppers w/Sling and one Joey. Had help with the setup from 3HaloODST. All Hoppers and Joey can see each other and she works great. Four Hopper system is a true addiction to TV, but it is my one and only hobby. With exception of taking care of my wife!

Attachments

• HopperDiagram-PriJPEG-PTAT.jpg
    HopperDiagram-PriJPEG-PTAT.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 165
That, my friend, is mildly epic. Hope those lines are labeled! I'm assuming you've got some sort of foreign language package requiring the use of the 118.

That, my friend, is mildly epic. Hope those lines are labeled! I'm assuming you've got some sort of foreign language package requiring the use of the 118.

LOL, I originally had 118 because locals came in on it for the St Louis area. But that changed when Eastern Arc was added. I have a few Italian channels that require 118. You bet the lines are labeled. See if the attached pic will enlarge for you by clicking on it and then click it again.

Attachments

• HopperHeadEnd 001.jpg
    HopperHeadEnd 001.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 179
Here is my system for four Hoppers w/Sling and one Joey. Had help with the setup from 3HaloODST. All Hoppers and Joey can see each other and she works great. Four Hopper system is a true addiction to TV, but it is my one and only hobby. With exception of taking care of my wife!
I think there for a second my eyes went cross looking at that.

Ok, I have a few questions to ask about your setup. You have CATV coming in along with Dish.... Why? and it also looks like you have the feed coming back out of the Hopper, then out to all the TV's, again why?

Last edited:
I have a similar setup but changed mine to a HIC instead of connecting all the boxes to Ethernet. You have a perfect place to connect it to on the left node if you want to simplify your network wiring.

I think there for a second my eyes went cross looking at that.

Ok, I have a few questions to ask about your setup. You have CATV coming in along with Dish.... Why? and it also looks like you have the feed coming back out of the Hopper, then out to all the TV's, again why?

Sorry for your cross eyes. LOL Diagram is a little busy. The reason for the CATV coming in along with Dish TV is we were long time cable TV subscribers. I heard all about the thunderstorm blackouts so I wanted a backup when I built our Dish TV system back in 2007. In fact I built in two backup systems, cable and OTA. The cable was only about $5.00 a month back then for very basic channels bundled in with our Internet service. Since then we quit the cable TV because the price was increased. Kept the A/B switch in place so it will be quick to select cable service if we go back to it or if we sell the house the new owners won’t have to worry about it. If cable is selected at the A/B switch the whole home will have cable service thru the home distribution splitter.

The one cable you are asking about coming out of the Hopper going to all TVs (except one) is the RF modulator signal. Three Hoppers have this set up. All the non HD TVs have a choice to watch different channels from these three Hoppers thru the home distribution splitter. Even the HD TVs (except one) have the RF mod signal coming to them too. The only TV that does not have the mod signal is the kids room. There is only one coax going to his room so he just has a Hopper. When he had a 722 I diplexed his room with the mod signals so he could view recordings from the other three 722s if he wished. But, no diplexing is allowed with the Hopper systems. He really doesn’t need it anyway with the whole home Hopper system. He can select any of the three other Hoppers to watch a recording. Another reason I have the modulation signal to all TVs is the wife and I like to sync a recording together at the same time from two different TVs. The Hopper system can’t do that.

I have a similar setup but changed mine to a HIC instead of connecting all the boxes to Ethernet. You have a perfect place to connect it to on the left node if you want to simplify your network wiring.

I hear ya rglore. The reason I have all four Hoppers and Joey connected by Ethernet direct to the router is stubbornness I guess. LOL I spent lotsa time installing all that Cat wiring and switches, so I want to use them. To me it is better than the HIC anyway but I could be wrong about that. I have all the Hoppers and Joey set up in the DHCP reservation table in my router. System is working great, but I can be flexible. If someone can prove to me or if I have issues I would switch to a HIC or Bridging in a heart beat.

I'm a little late to this party ... but. You will have no problem with the third Hopper. I have my third Hopper + Joey in my 5th wheel. All I did was call in to activate them. They were $7 each to add.

I got mine through Amazon, the same $299 that it seems almost everyone is selling them for. If it is a totally separate system, you will, of course, need a single node.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)