Adding a third Hopper

bigrex12

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Plymouth, IN
I've heard dish allows three hoppers on the same account. I've also heard you have to purchase the third Hopper. That's all fine and dandy. I will purchase a third hopper. My question is 1) How should I purchase the Hopper? Should I buy it from dish? Or should I purchase it off ebay or something like that? 2) In what manner should I go about activating the third Hopper? Also, about how much does the third hopper add to the monthly bill? Is it the same as a second hopper? or do they charge more for the third hopper per month?

http://www.dishdepot.com/dish_receivers.jsp

Purchase the HwS at that site for $199.

Dish allows for four Hoppers too :) .

As for activation, DIRT is the best way, however I just activated mine thru online chat since DIRT was off duty both times.

Each extra Hopper is $7 a month.

You'll also need two DPP44s or a DPP44 + DPP33.

Here's a diagram of my system before I added a fourth Hopper :-

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/287591-installing-a-3rd-Hopper?p=2903300#post2903300

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

The monthly fee for the 3rd Hopper should be $7 per month just like the second Hopper or a Joey.
I would Google Hopper pricing then compare who offers the best price then call Dish and ask for their best price after you know the competitions price. I have seen posts here sugesting a price of $199 for a Hopper with Sling.

Updated my last post. Feel free to PM me or ask here any questions :) .

You must have a HUGE family to need three Hoppers, OR too addicted to TV...don't know which category 3 belongs to.:)

The third hopper will probably be about 300-350 feet from the dish, so another dish would probably be needed. I can point a dish no problem, but it won't be able to be eastern arc for my hd locals. Not a big problem because it's only for a work on your car/get away from the wife type building, I know I can get a joey for the location, but call me crazy, I think the hopper is cooler, ha!

Plus, If I do run a cable to connect the client ports on the solo and duo nodes, that'll give me that much more space overall. one of the hoppers is already full! with the second about 30%

Last edited:
The third hopper will probably be about 300-350 feet from the dish, so another dish would probably be needed. I can point a dish no problem, but it won't be able to be eastern arc for my hd locals. Not a big problem because it's only for a work on your car/get away from the wife type building, I know I can get a joey for the location, but call me crazy, I think the hopper is cooler, ha!

There won't be communication between all the Hoppers if you don't connect the nodes together, btw.

I may be wrong, but I think a second Dish/location might force you into another account.

I may be wrong, but I think a second Dish/location might force you into another account.

Suppose that depends on where the other receivers are placed. I would think that a garage or something would be OK as long as it's technically the same household.

Suppose that depends on where the other receivers are placed. I would think that a garage or something would be OK as long as it's technically the same household.

He should contact DIRT.

The fact that it would be on a different arc would be the only thing I could see that would give me any issues. 1k.2 ea on the house, 1k.2 for the garage.

The fact that it would be on a different arc would be the only thing I could see that would give me any issues. 1k.2 ea on the house, 1k.2 for the garage.

Personally don't see any issues with what you're describing but maybe it would be a good idea to run it by DIRT.

Is it a garage or what?

Again, contact DIRT. Since you have only 8 posts, they are Dish Internet Response Team....the HOLY GRAIL of accurate Dish info, especially with matters such as yours. PM one...those on duty can be found at the bottom of the Forum page, logged on members in RED. None of us will be able to set you straight like they will.

I don't post much, but I'm constantly browsing! I'll get a hold of DIRT about it. I would really hope they don't make me start another account just for another building on my property! Especially because I'm saving them a van roll by doing this one on my own!

Don't let the grumpy 'ol vets run ya off. They don't bite :) .

Ha! well I appreciate the quick and knowledgeable responses! From what I've seen, DIRT is a pretty easy bunch to get along with. I'm not askin for any special treatment, just a special situation that I think DIRT would excel at helpin' me out with.

Definitely. The helpful folks here is what sets this place apart from "other" DBS sites :D .

DIRT is awesome. I never call Dish anymore!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)