Adding an additional antenna to an OEM vehicle satellite radio

sixtn39

Original poster
Jul 31, 2015
Freeport, IL
I have a 2014 Honda Goldwing motorcycle that has SiriusXM as a part of its audio unit. The reception is terrible! Like most vehicles buildings, foliage, terrain cause the signal to drop, but is extreme in the Honda Goldwing. It is not just mine, but many owners complain of the same problem. Oddly it will even drop its signal when driving south east with no other obstructions present.

So my questions are...
1. Is a poor receiving OEM sat radio a matter of a poorly designed/mounted antenna or a radio that is lacking the ability to capture and hold the signal?

2. Can an aftermarket antenna be spliced into an OEM antenna cable to improve reception?

Thank you

I don't think I've ever read about anyone splicing or adding an antenna, I think your options are relocate the antenna or replace it.

In my experience the OEM antennas are almost always better than anything aftermarket, and may have special connections at the headend depending on the radio.
I would absolutely recommend DO NOT try replacing connectors by cutting the wire. They're very fine wires.

Where is the antenna on the bike, a motorcycle is a bit challenging by nature.

The antenna is under ABS plastic garnish below the windshield. Others have removed it and secured it atop one of the rear view mirrors, but the improvement in reception was minimal. The connector to the bikes wiring harness is proprietary. One person has reported that he did "splice" into the antenna wiring at the rear of the bike where the audio unit is located but has failed to provide follow up answers.

Thanks for your response.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)