Adding an existing receiver I own

Status
Please reply by conversation.

redmaxx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
I currently have an HR20-700 in the living room. I own a D10-200 from years ago before the HR20-700 upgrade and would like to know:

- Will DTV do anything to my commitment by adding the receiver?
- Will there be a charge for an additional receiver, since I'm not leasing it?
- Can I just plug it into the wall or does an installer have to come out and make some sort of modification so that I can run another receiver? I know that I have to call in first, but what I'm asking is if there will be any signal issues for the HR20-700 just by plugging in this receiver?

Thanks!

There shouldn't be any issues as far as reactivating it. that's if it was ever deactivated.

Is the reciever still on your account?

Personally I have three "old" receivers that I never removed from my account and was not actually using. I took one of them off the shelf dusted it off and put it in my workshop.

IIRC, I did not have to get another card for it because I never deactivated it. so I just hooked it up and away I went.

Finding a remote that worked was another story. It's a really old box.

It needs a cable run from the dish or multiswitch. You cannot split the cable your HR20 is hooked to.

If you already own the receiver fom before 2006, there is no agreement.

If you bought the receiver after 2006, and are activating it for the first time, it will require 18 months to your account.

Personally I have three "old" receivers that I never removed from my account and was not actually using. I took one of them off the shelf dusted it off and put it in my workshop.

IIRC, I did not have to get another card for it because I never deactivated it. so I just hooked it up and away I went.

You had 3 rec's sitting , collecting dust while on your account.
Thats $ 15 per MONTH you were throwing away , did you not know this ?

I wish I had your money, then I could throw mine away. :)

Jimbo

It needs a cable run from the dish or multiswitch. You cannot split the cable your HR20 is hooked to.

Are you sure about this? I ask because right now, the cable (one of them, a separate run had to be made for the second cable) from the dish comes into the house and goes to a distributor panel. This distributor panel currently has all of the rooms of the house hooked up to it.

Isn't the signal currently being split already? We have no signal issues with the HR20. If I just connect the old one to the wall, what will happen?

Thanks!

OK, I plugged it in and it doesn't seem to have affected the HR20. It's still getting signal fine it seems. Waiting to see if the old one acquires a signal.

Darn it! It seems that as long as the HR20 is plugged in, the HR20 gets signal but not the old one. As soon as I unplug the HR20 from the distributor panel, the old one gets signal. :(

I'll have to go up on the roof and see if there really are two cable runs like the builder says there are up there.

You had 3 rec's sitting , collecting dust while on your account.
Thats $ 15 per MONTH you were throwing away , did you not know this ?

I wish I had your money, then I could throw mine away. :)

Jimbo

Well, to more accurate, I was not using them because I upgraded several receivers. However I knew that in the not too distant future I was going to need additional SD receivers.

In the midst of remodeling I had future plans for the kids rooms, and my workshop.

One for each of the kids rooms and one for my workshop. I had to tear out some wiring and re-do alot of it. Now that the kids are back in their rooms they now each have theri own SD receivers and I now have one in my work shop.

So yes, I was paying for collecting dust for a short time.

I still have one H20 I'm going to deactivate until I need it as a spare.

I'm a Ya never know kind of guy. Ya never never know when you're going to need ........

Bob,

I understand that, it ended being about 2 months, and to tell you the truth, I didn't give the lease fee on my D* receivers a thought, pulled them from the rooms like everything else.

I had few more things on my mind other than lease fees on my SD boxes. Like keeping the kids out of the fresh floor varnish and drywall mud and where to put them to sleep at night without disturbing the aforementioned floor varnish and wet mud.

and of course, the always dreaded WAF! had to be addressed and appeased!

Well, to more accurate, I was not using them because I upgraded several receivers. However I knew that in the not too distant future I was going to need additional SD receivers.

In the midst of remodeling I had future plans for the kids rooms, and my workshop.

One for each of the kids rooms and one for my workshop. I had to tear out some wiring and re-do alot of it. Now that the kids are back in their rooms they now each have theri own SD receivers and I now have one in my work shop.

So yes, I was paying for collecting dust for a short time.

I still have one H20 I'm going to deactivate until I need it as a spare.

I'm a Ya never know kind of guy. Ya never never know when you're going to need ........

I see :)

Jimbo

Darn it! It seems that as long as the HR20 is plugged in, the HR20 gets signal but not the old one. As soon as I unplug the HR20 from the distributor panel, the old one gets signal. :(

I'll have to go up on the roof and see if there really are two cable runs like the builder says there are up there.

Redmaxx,
What normally happens when you try to split the signal like that, you'll get signal OK until using a second receiver and then it gets confused if one channel wants an Even number and the other wants an Odd, see when you turn to an odd channel 13v goes to the rec. when you turn to a even channel it's 18v, the unit gets messed up when you ask for seperate voltages at the same time.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)