Adding an owned receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Andrewwski

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I have family who lives in an apartment complex that offers DirecTV. They will drop lines to you from a 5 LNB dish. The programming comes at a reduced cost ($20.99 a month for Total Choice).

If I want to buy a standard D11 (or D11-500) receiver (buy it to own it) and add it to my account, can I do that even if I'm leasing the first (HD) receiver?

They want $100 at the apt. complex to install a new leased D11...but the line is already there and active and I can buy a D11 for $70.

I'm reading something about having to activate it within a certain period of time. Will that affect me at all? They are new customers. They will get the first receiver installed on Monday. Can I buy a new one and add it to the account after the install?

Also...do I have to get it directly from DirecTV?

OK...after further reading...they say all receivers that you buy are subject to a lease. I don't exactly understand this thinking but whatever.

If I go to Circuit City, pick up a D12 for $69.99, sign on it and whatever, can I simply plug it into the satellite feed and then call DTV and ask them to activate it (thus bypassing the apt. building)?

Also...I have an old DirecTV receiver that I actually do own. Can I add this receiver to the account?

OK...after further reading...they say all receivers that you buy are subject to a lease. I don't exactly understand this thinking but whatever.

If I go to Circuit City, pick up a D12 for $69.99, sign on it and whatever, can I simply plug it into the satellite feed and then call DTV and ask them to activate it (thus bypassing the apt. building)?

Also...I have an old DirecTV receiver that I actually do own. Can I add this receiver to the account?

Yes and Yes

as for the leasing thing, anything purchased reciever wise from D* or CC BB type stores are leases.
If you owned it, it would be a $ 4.99 addl rec. seeing you lease it, it will be a $ 4.99 lease fee on your bill.

Jimbo

Thanks. So I just call DTV after the first receiver is up and running and ask to add a receiver...it's that simple?

Thanks. So I just call DTV after the first receiver is up and running and ask to add a receiver...it's that simple?

Yes, just make sure you have a picture on channel 100 and deceint signal strength (if you can get to the SS menu).

They will ask for your rec model and the AC number
Seeing you already have an account open, it should be no problem.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.