adding back light to TV ?

MichaelC

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 22, 2004
MA
I know some TVs have a built in soft light behind the TV. Has anyone added a light behind their TV? What color light and what size bulb did you use. I read once about this somewhere it's supposed to make viewing easier on the eyes. I have a 52" RPTV.

This would be a great question for Gregg Loewen :)

Gregg recently sent me a light which is behind my TV and I can say it works well and makes watching TV easier on the eyes. :) I dont remember the name of it though since its behind the tv and I cant see it.

Scott,

If you can find out more about it that would be great. Was it Philps LCD's that have a blue light? I'm not sure. I would love a new TV but anything I can do to enhance mine would be good.

hi guys!!

A back light should be placed behind the display so it will give a halo of light around the display. This will assist with the following:

Better perceived contrast ratio, as it will make your blacks seem blacker.

Less eye strain, as you will no longer be viewing in a dark room.

Better color perception.

It is important for the light to emit D6500 K, which should be somewhat close to the color temp of Warm 2 / Standard / Movie gray scale setting.

Ideal Lume makes a great product and can be purchased on the LionAV web site. Below is a link, the cost is $45, plus 8 for UPS ground shipping.

http://www.lionav.com/buy.php

regards

Gregg

I went to Home Depot.

The 6500K bulbs are only $5.95

Why would I pay $45 plus 8 for shipping.

Does it do something more?

I've used back lighting for years on both my sets, using a 20 inch and 15 inch flourscent with a 5000 k (sunshine bulb from GE, full spectrum light), got it all at Walmart for less than 20 dollars, (bulb you must buy separately but they have it there. I like the halo around the TV, but the best thing is you can turn off all your other lights, and not get a headache from watching in the dark. Apparently your eye gets very strained from the constant light to dark to light that is constantly happening every minute when watching at night. I had built-in TV viewing areas built into the wall when I had my house built, so I was able to get a nice boxed in light effect with both my TV's, but my Dad just had a big entertainment center, and we just put the light on top with a switched cord by the front of the TV to turn on the light. This works great for him because he just has a 36 inch non-flat screen TV, which would pick up all the glare from any lights in the room. I think you can get a screw in nature or sunshine light at 6500k at Walmart, and I believe at Home Depot and Lowe's. I suppose you could just try a regular bulb in a small lamp behind your TV just to get an idea of how it would look before investing any time and money. but to get the full benefit you would need a flourscent with at least 5000k, 6500k is best, Natural or Sunshine light (full spectrum light). I'll try to take some pictures if I can get the right exposure, and post them.

Scott

"...I went to Home Depot. The 6500K bulbs are only $5.95 Why would I pay $45 plus 8 for shipping...."

Judging by the fluorescent fixtures I've bought from Home Depot- er, for quality?

When I redo the kitchen in my new home, I will buy undercabinet fluorescent fixtures- but not from HD again. The ones from HD that I installed in my last home were poorly built, poorly designed and short lived. And I'd guess any 6500k bulb from HD would be vaguely near 6500k- oh, say 5000k, maybe. Next one could be 7000k.

After spending over $3,000 on my HDTV, I guess I won't quibble over $25.

Vurbano,
Well that's the best natural light you can get, and you don't have to worry
about the bulb burning out. If yours does were all in trouble!

I ordered one for $45. I like that it's easily adjustable. I'll post a pic when it comes in if I can take a good one.

scottss810 said:
Vurbano,
Well that's the best natural light you can get, and you don't have to worry
about the bulb burning out. If yours does were all in trouble!
It goes out at night. LOL

I ended up going to Menards (better quality than Home Depot).

WestingHouse 6500k guaranted rated 24" buib $7

Light with Cord (took out the build that came with it) $9

Total $16

Joy of watching HD all night long with no head ache . . . . Priceless

Back light pics

The Ideal-Lume light is thinner than I thought, I used double face tape to stick it on the back of the TV. It gives a soft glow on the wall and ceiling. It has a built in shade you can rotate to adjust the light.

back%20light%20001.jpg

back%20light%20022.jpg

Just use one of the newer 2W LED light bulbs behind the TV. I've worked in the color industry and as far as I can tell the color temp of the bckight really does not matter.

I have never really worried much about the bulb color, because Ive not worried about the wall color :)

That being said, My ideal lume is now 4 years old and still going strong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts