Roku: HD PQ, EpixHD vs HBO Go

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Epix HD PQ has been excellent. Just subscribed to HBO a few days ago, and started playing with GO. First time I tried it, was the first episode on True Blood. When it started "retrieving", there were four dots and "HD" to the right of the loading status bar. PQ was great. Ever since, I've just gotten four dots without the HD and PQ is SD at best. Tried another Epix movie...excellent, BUT I notice there are no dots or HD when it (an Epix movie) retrieves. I have DSL, 5.30 average Mbps via repeater bridge Lynksis router. So, is HBO GO inconsistent, PQ-wise compared to Epix? It would seem so, but I imagine there has to be a reason for it. I'm new at all of this Roku stuff, so I'm groping along right now. Thanks for any input.

Epix HD PQ has been excellent. Just subscribed to HBO a few days ago, and started playing with GO. First time I tried it, was the first episode on True Blood. When it started "retrieving", there were four dots and "HD" to the right of the loading status bar. PQ was great. Ever since, I've just gotten four dots without the HD and PQ is SD at best. Tried another Epix movie...excellent, BUT I notice there are no dots or HD when it (an Epix movie) retrieves. I have DSL, 5.30 average Mbps via repeater bridge Lynksis router. So, is HBO GO inconsistent, PQ-wise compared to Epix? It would seem so, but I imagine there has to be a reason for it. I'm new at all of this Roku stuff, so I'm groping along right now. Thanks for any input.

I can tell you,what little I have watched EPix on the roku,it looked really good.I didn't notice the HD after the 4 dots.I have watched hbogo several times and since the last roku update get the HD symbol after the 4 dots.Picture quality is great.Same can be said for amazon and netflix for the most part.Watched the first 2 episodes of primeval last night and although it says hd the hd symbol didn't appear after retrieving.The picture quality was more like sd perhaps 480P but definitely not hd.My internet speeds are very close to yours.Average about 5.6Mbps when none of our network pcs are surfing or d/loading.The roku is in pretty close proximity to the netgear router,wireless N 150.It performs better than I expected but,would prefer to be able to hardwire it.

The dots are a rough indicator of quality. I used to get epix & never did hbo, but the only 1 I recall with the ....quality when retrieving is netflix. If roku software is up to date, a reset may help.

I always have consistent HD, but I am using a 12mbit connection. I would speculate you need 5mbit, since your DSL is just over, any other activity on you DSL line will knock it out of HD.

After looking on HBOGOs site it says 3mbit. So, to be sure nothing else is going on when you are watching.

Ok, when I start a program from HBO go, I get the dots, no "HD" (Though it is in HD), BUT - after FF, when it resumes I get the dots AND the "HD".

I'm assuming everyone in this thread is using a roku2 xd with 4.8 s/w.

There is another "factor" with picture quality and the ROKU...How many other people were using your internet connection when you tried GO?

To see the stream profile of any program you watch (MBPS stream - MBPS sent) try this:

From the HOME screen

Press the HOME button 5 times, The REWIND << button 3 times, the FF >> button 2 times

Any time you start a new stream you will get a gray box with the stream info for about 10 seconds.

To see the stream profile of any program you watch (MBPS stream - MBPS sent) try this:

From the HOME screen

Press the HOME button 5 times, The REWIND << button 3 times, the FF >> button 2 times

Any time you start a new stream you will get a gray box with the stream info for about 10 seconds.
WOW! Thanks for the info, Tony. Will check it the next time. But won't that take me OFF watch I would be watching?

Last edited:
No. HBO Go is directly tied to HBO and the local provider (ie CableVision, Verizon, Comcast, Dish, etc). You have to subscribe to HBO thought one of the providers and when you activate the feature you have to tell HBO Go who you are with and then log in to the provider's web site. (easier than it sounds. Very simple 3 step log-in process)

No problem KAB. The gray box essentially says, "Playing ??? stream on your ??? network." The first number is the speed of the stream, the second is the speed of the network connection usually showing maximum speed at the source, not at your end. Sometimes it tells you it is playing a 1.5mbps stream on your .07 network and you know the source is just overloaded.

PQ on Epix channel is very good but, for whatever reason, the app doesn't work well for me. If I select any movie, I could go and prepare a full-course meal before it finally starts streaming. It just hangs on the movie info screen for quite awhile before it finally gets going. It's the only channel that does this. Everything else on the Roku works great.

It depends on the movie too... While in the Epix app I can sometimes watch a program no problem, then select another movie right away and have the problem you describe.

From the HOME screen

I tried that but,it takes me to the override stream speed settings.

Also KAB the HBO via vod has updated all there series online,it's been a great addition if I remember right I don't think you have a Hopper so I don't know if they have grown the vod selections on the VIP models, I would think they would though?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts