Roku: HD PQ, EpixHD vs HBO Go

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Also KAB the HBO via vod has updated all there series online,it's been a great addition if I remember right I don't think you have a Hopper so I don't know if they have grown the vod selections on the VIP models, I would think they would though?
My 622 has the expanded library from HBO too. But the menu is so terrible I rather use the ROKU anyway.

Also KAB the HBO via vod has updated all there series online,it's been a great addition if I remember right I don't think you have a Hopper so I don't know if they have grown the vod selections on the VIP models, I would think they would though?
Yes, no Hopper. Just trying to make use of this somewhat useless Roku.

Thanks tngtony.Maybe you can get a chance to test the trick codes out when your home.

Somewhat useless?Hbogo minus dd is great on the roku and much easier to navigate.;)

Just got home. Here is my final answer :)

FROM THE HOME SCREEN:
Press Home 5 times
Press Rewind 3 times
Press Fast Forward 2 times

A menu labeled "Settings" on the left and "BIT RATE OVERRIDE" on the top right
LEAVE THE BIT RATE ON AUTOMATIC>
ENABLE Enable Playback Debugging.

When you select that option you should be back on your home screen.
Select a channel or program.
When the stream starts you can see the stream speeds.
The message will say something like "Playing 1.5 mbps stream on your 7.5mbps network"
Or it could say "Cannot play 1.5 MBPS on your .5 mbps network because -[blah, blah...]"
In my experience the "network" rate is showing the upper limit of the source, not your own network.

The last couple of days, HBO Go has had good HD PQ. I enabled Playback Debugging, and it usually showed around 2.5 mbps on 4.2 mbps network. Then, all of a sudden (immediately after going from one to the next ep of True Blood), no HD, and debugging screen shows 1.5 on 2.2 mbps network. DSL speed is consistent at about 5.3. So, any idea why the Roku thinks network has slowed down? Is that what it's doing?

The last couple of days, HBO Go has had good HD PQ. I enabled Playback Debugging, and it usually showed around 2.5 mbps on 4.2 mbps network. Then, all of a sudden (immediately after going from one to the next ep of True Blood), no HD, and debugging screen shows 1.5 on 2.2 mbps network. DSL speed is consistent at about 5.3. So, any idea why the Roku thinks network has slowed down? Is that what it's doing?

No idea about the roku kab,but I wonder if the neigbors might be sharing your network?

Just happened to think...This happens a lot on netflix.When starting a new show or episode the first few secs are poor quality,it gets back to hd in 30sec or less.Not sure if thats the same symptom your describing or not.I haven't watched consecutive episodes on hbogo.

No idea about the roku kab,but I wonder if the neigbors might be sharing your network?

Just happened to think...This happens a lot on netflix.When starting a new show or episode the first few secs are poor quality,it gets back to hd in 30sec or less.Not sure if thats the same symptom your describing or not.I haven't watched consecutive episodes on hbogo.
Nope. WPE2, password. And I have no immediate neighbors.

Last edited:
I've been doing a lot of Amazon streaming with the Roku 2 XD and had an weird behavior recently. I was watching an episode of Lost which was in HD, had the 4 bars and the HD logo. Then that one finished and I went to pick a new episode... This one loaded, but only showed one dot. I hit pause, then restarted. poor picture quality and still one dot.

Checked my wifi connection, everything good. Noticed the Roku wasn't really pulling many bits. In the end I fixed it by power cycling the Roku. When it came back up, I got the 4 dots and HD again.

That's only happened once,and I swear I've watched the Roku more than my Dish receiver.

I've been doing a lot of Amazon streaming with the Roku 2 XD and had an weird behavior recently. I was watching an episode of Lost which was in HD, had the 4 bars and the HD logo. Then that one finished and I went to pick a new episode... This one loaded, but only showed one dot. I hit pause, then restarted. poor picture quality and still one dot.

Checked my wifi connection, everything good. Noticed the Roku wasn't really pulling many bits. In the end I fixed it by power cycling the Roku. When it came back up, I got the 4 dots and HD again.

That's only happened once,and I swear I've watched the Roku more than my Dish receiver.
I was continuing to have the same problem today. Power cycled the Roku per your suggestion and BACK IN HD BUSINESS!! Thanks for the tip. Just like most electronics these days...when in doubt, pull the plug!

Mike_H said:

We too have been using the roku more than the dish equipment. :)

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

I was continuing to have the same problem today. Power cycled the Roku per your suggestion and BACK IN HD BUSINESS!! Thanks for the tip. Just like most electronics these days...when in doubt, pull the plug!

Glad you got it going KAB.That was going to be my next suggestion.

yes, unfortunately with today's devices, the good old pull the plug, count to 5, and plug it back in routine is all to common. Many of these devices are running some sort of internal operating system that has memory management, device drivers, and any number of opportunities for something to go wrong. Heavy quality assurance and negative testing of hardware takes a long..long..long time, and very little such work is done anymore. About the only ones doing it are chip makers and even they end up with an issue from time to time.

Well, today Roku is telling me my network is only 2.2mbps and won't play HD. Pulled the plug, but no change. Looks like I might need to look at getting a faster isp.

An Update: I thought perhaps my problem not getting HD regularly might be caused by my repeater bridge router and it's half bandwidth. So, moved main router closer, and even though with weaker signal through concrete wall, ROKU reports higher mbps and constant HD. So, my 5.3-ish DSL will do HD just fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts