Could use some quick advice.

highskies

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Texarkana
Hope this is the correct forum to post this in. Not trying to get into a lengthy discussion..just looking for advice, since I'm assuming some in here would have experience with this.

I'm looking at a Samsung 32" LCD tv for my bedroom. One that I can use with the OepnBox S9 DVB sat receiver and HDMI. I'm also wanting to use the tv as a pc monitor since I like doing 3d graphics, and a bigger monitor would be better.

This particular model, the Samsung LN32D403, it has HDMI in, but no DVI in nor VGA in(D-sub or whatever it's called).

On one of my PCs I have a 2 gig Nvidia card that has DVI outputs. So I started looking around, and they make cables that are HDMI to DVI, and they have a small adapter...HDMI female and DVI male. Would this latter work? I already have a 6' HDMI cable. So I'm thinking..connect the male DVI part of the adapter into the NVidia card...connect one end of the HDMI cable into the other other end of the adapter..then connect the other end into the HDMI on the TV. Does anyone know whether this would work? Don't want to buy the tv until I am certain I can use it as a monitor as well. Here's a link to the manual, if anyone cares to look to see if this would work.
★ ★ Samsung LN32D403 manual PDF ★ ★ Manual PDF for Samsung LN32D403 owner manual for Samsung LN32D403 | Manual PDF .NET

It may or may not work depending on a lot of factors. The DVI standard defined both a digital signal path DVI-D and an analog signal path DVI-A. The adapter works with DVI-D, but not DVI-A. Many of the earlier video cards had DVI-A, so that wouldn't work.

Also, the DVI standard was video only. Even if you get the path working, you will need to connect an audio path to the TV, such as the analog RCA connectors.

I would try and figure out the model number and confirm that the DVI output is DVI-D. Try to also find out the resolution and refresh rates that can be used with these outputs and make sure they can be synched by the Samsung. Most of ther nvidia cards have manuals and datasheets online. If it all matches up, you are good to go.

It may or may not work depending on a lot of factors. The DVI standard defined both a digital signal path DVI-D and an analog signal path DVI-A. The adapter works with DVI-D, but not DVI-A. Many of the earlier video cards had DVI-A, so that wouldn't work.

Also, the DVI standard was video only. Even if you get the path working, you will need to connect an audio path to the TV, such as the analog RCA connectors.

I would try and figure out the model number and confirm that the DVI output is DVI-D. Try to also find out the resolution and refresh rates that can be used with these outputs and make sure they can be synched by the Samsung. Most of ther nvidia cards have manuals and datasheets online. If it all matches up, you are good to go.

Thanx for the input. I'll see if I can find out whether the Nvidia card does DVI-D or DVI-A. I'm assuming D is meaning digital, and A is meaning analog, correct? The card I have is a pretty recent model, so hopefully it will be DVI-D. As far as the sound goes, I'm not too concerned about that. I don't have to output the sound to the TV, since I usually have my sound card hooked up to my stereo system most of the time.

I haven't looked online yet, but I just realized I still have the original box. Here's what it says...One Dual Link DVH HDCP Capable Connector...One Single Link DVH HDCP Capable Connector...Mini HDMI 1.4a Connector.

Does this tell you whether this would work? And what is this Mini HDMI 1.4a Connector? Didn't realize I had that on the card.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)