Adding Chinese Family Pack to AT 200 - Do I really need a second Dish satellite?

eaw7100

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
United States
I have America's Top 200. I am looking to add "Chinese Family Pack" for $5 per month. MyDish.com won't let me add it. I initiated an online chat and Dish told me that I need to get a second satellite dish which would cost $100 plus $15 for installation.

Is there a way to add Chinese Family Pack without getting a second satellite dish?
Are there any promotions that allow for a cheaper second satellite dish?
Will there need to be new wiring inside my house or just a second satellite on the roof?
Can anyone confirm that "Chinese Family Pack" is still being offered and will only add $5 to my bill after I pay for the installation.
What happens if I try to cancel "Chinese Family Pack"? Would I need to send back the second Dish?

Thanks.

All international programming from their satellites are from one place only. It's the 118.7 satellite. Unless you get international channels you would not have that one normally, so yes, it has to be added. The cost quoted is what is normally charged. Sometimes a long time customer who has a large enough programming package might be offered it for less, otherwise I know from experience that is what they will quote for a cost. You do not have to have the Dish returned if you drop international programming.

Depending if you use the Western satellites for programming or the Eastern will determine if you have an actual 2nd Dish, or if they give you a new dish that incorporates the 118 satellite.

You can not get the Chinese Family Pack (which is still $5) alone even with the top200 package. It is an add on to an actual international package. So for instance you would need to get the Chinese Elite package first (for $20) or even the French one channel package for $10 then you can add the Chinese Family Pack.

You can contact a DIRT member here to see if there is a way to get that Dish for less, but they will not waive the requirement to have an actual international package first before getting an add on package like Chinese Family.

Last edited:
Is the French One channel package the cheapest international package?
Can you add international packages without signing a two year contract?

The French one, and the Portuguese one are the least expensive at $10. If you are already a customer, there is no contract extention I am aware of, you are simply adding programming. FYI the least expensive Chinese Package is $19.99, $9 more but I assume you would understand the language? It's too bad you have to spend $10 or more for a package, just to get the Chinese Family one, but I ran into the same thing to get the World Package, because it too is an add on.

I have America's Top 200. I am looking to add "Chinese Family Pack" for $5 per month. MyDish.com won't let me add it. I initiated an online chat and Dish told me that I need to get a second satellite dish which would cost $100 plus $15 for installation.

Is there a way to add Chinese Family Pack without getting a second satellite dish?
Are there any promotions that allow for a cheaper second satellite dish?
Will there need to be new wiring inside my house or just a second satellite on the roof?
Can anyone confirm that "Chinese Family Pack" is still being offered and will only add $5 to my bill after I pay for the installation.
What happens if I try to cancel "Chinese Family Pack"? Would I need to send back the second Dish?

Thanks.

Hi, I wanted to let you know that the antenna upgrade you need for International programming is a $100.00 upgrade fee for the DISH and then the $15.00 technician fee. I also wanted to let you know that the Chinese Family Pack is an Add-on package which means that you need to have a qualifying Basic Chinese package which would be the Chinese: Elite or the Chinese: Great Wall TV. If you have any specific questions about this, please PM me. Thank you!

Mary, I don't think he is limited to just a Chinese package to get the Chinese Family package add on? It appears once you have a an international package you can pick any add on package from any language.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)