Adding Dish Network service to a second home

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

guerra

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 29, 2007
San Francisco/Tracy
Hey all. Just thought I'd post this question since I started floating the idea. I tried searching but it's been a while since I've been on here and I guess I don't know how to use it (everything looks waaaaay different).

I have recently acquired a second home that already has Dish satellite on the roof (looks recent/newer dish antenna). I already have Dish on my primary home and was wondering if it would be possible to add service to my second home?

I'm thinking all I need would be an active receiver that I could just plug in voila everything works right? I don't care for local channels. I figure I'd post here first before I call to get some input. If I have to setup a completely separate/additional account for the second home then I'm most likely not interested (expensive much?).

Oh I forgot to mention I have an old school VIP 622 since 2007 if that matters.

Thanks!

Hey all. Just thought I'd post this question since I started floating the idea. I tried searching but it's been a while since I've been on here and I guess I don't know how to use it (everything looks waaaaay different).

I have recently acquired a second home that already has Dish satellite on the roof (looks recent/newer dish antenna). I already have Dish on my primary home and was wondering if it would be possible to add service to my second home?

I'm thinking all I need would be an active receiver that I could just plug in voila everything works right? I don't care for local channels. I figure I'd post here first before I call to get some input. If I have to setup a completely separate/additional account for the second home then I'm most likely not interested (expensive much?).

Thanks!
You can move your receiver between homes. Otherwise you need a second account.

As long as you don't split receivers between houses, you are fine. There aren't packages w/o locals anymore. Depending on the receivers you have, you may need different wiring. ie: you can not plug a hopper into an outlet wired for a 722, it wont work properly.

You could have a purchased receiver you can call and activate and deactivate as you go back and forth... That way you only pay for the time in which you are using it.

Lets answer the OP's question to the point. Technically, if you have two receivers on the same account and both activated, then they should work even if the locations are different. As for the locals, currently there aren't any CONUS locals that you can tap on to unless, you get on to 77 or 61.5. not sure if any remain on 61.5. If you fall in the same spot then you may get locals as well.

However using the same account receivers in two places is called stacking and is not permitted by dish. You need to have two separate paid accounts if the address differs else if audited by dish, then passing the audit with separate locations is going to be impossible. The locals are based on your home address and not on what satellite they are on.

If you move a single activated receiver to another location, you need to call dish and change your address. As mentioned you'll have to run a check switch. Alternatively you can have a separate pay as you go account at the new place and deactivate it when you leave.

As for me. We don't face this issue as the bigger issue is getting a second place. If I buy a second home, I think I won't be able to afford MacD's dollar menus. :) let alone dish subs.

Thanks!
Each time you connect to the "other" antenna, it is advisable to run "check switch"...Especially if one antenna is different from your other

You MIGHT find it advantageous to run check switch with NO sat coax connected, then hook it up and run it again.

You MIGHT find it advantageous to run check switch with NO sat coax connected, then hook it up and run it again.
Yep, clear out your old matrix with a check switch run without a coax connected and then do it again with the sat coax reconnected. I had this problem with any 211k I have ever had.

However using the same account receivers in two places is called stacking and is not permitted by dish.
No, account stacking is having multiple receivers at different addresses but using (1) account. What he's describing is no different than people who have vacation homes or even campers and they take their receiver with them. If he has just (1) receiver, it's pretty much a non-issue. If he has multiple receivers and people are using the account at both locations at the same time, that's a "problem", i.e. account stacking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)