adding dvr rx, what dish do i need?

Bull76

Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
I'm sure this has been asked and i have used the search and search and search and cant find the answer i'm looking for so sorry if this is a typical repeat..

I am adding a dvr reciever tomorrow. I currently have one 625 serving two rooms.. I want to occasionally take the new reciever to my cabin for the weekends. I am wondering what i will need for a dish/switch to get the new receiver to work at my cabin.. I'm guessing i'll need to get the 110/119 sats is all?... no HD or anything special..

I have an old superdish but with no lnb so that is kinda worthless i guess. I do have two directv dish's with dual lnb's on them, would it be possible to use those? I might have the dual part wrong, its one piece with two outputs on it...

Should i just find a dish 500? I would like to use something i already have if at all possible.. I used to have a dish 500 but threw it away like an idiot and now i cant find anyone who has one! :)

FYI the new receiver is only gonna be for one room if that makes a difference.

Thanks a ton for any advice you can give me!

bull

Great! Thanks alot!

So i would just point one dish to 110 and the other to 119 and then into the SW21 switches and i'm good to go?

Thanks a bunch for the help!

EDIT:::: I was looking at the sw21's and i have a similar thing for d* that has sat a and sat b would that work the same or is dish different? It was used when i had D* with tivo.. Just a thought thanks any reply...

Last edited:
E* and D* use different switch protocols, but since D* LNBs are equivalent to E* legacy, you can use E* legacy switches with them.

You might also look for a Dish 500 with any version of a Twin or Quad then you wouldn't need external switches.

Sounds like i'll look for a dish 500... For now i'll give the D* stuff a whirl and see what happens till i can find a 500...

Thanks again i really appreciate the help! :) :) :)

Bull

Heck just to get it up and running with what you have you point just one of the Directv dishes at E*'s 119 bird and run two lines into the 625. Only one sat but 119 is E*'s main bird you would get a majority of the channels.

If you had the same exact type of Dish and switch scenario at the cabin as you did at the house then you would not have to do a check switch each time you move it back and forth. DishPro only requires a test for each satellite location (2 tests with Dish500 and three tests for Dish1000 / SuperDish).

You cannot connect two Phase 3 satellite dishes pointed at two different satellites using each one for only one satellite to an sw-21 switch can you?

So, you think the D* dish will get the 119 ok with no other switch? The d* dish i have is a phase I will that work ok? Or do i need a phase II or newer?

Thanks for the replies..

Just like ke4est said. If it's one dual-output LNB, point it at 119°, run 2 lines to the 625. No switch needed until you add a second satellite and/or go beyond 2 tuners.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)