Adding external HD to HR24-100

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fightfan

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Parts unknown
I would like to transfer my DRV recordings to a hard drive and then burn them to a dvd on my computer. However I have not found that this is possible so the next option would be to add a 1tb external HD to my HR24-100. The HR24-100 has a USB port in the front and one in the back and also a SATA connection in the back. Can the USB ports be used or Do I need to connect with a SATA connection?

Also can someone please explain or point me in the right direction of where to find instructions on how to hook up the external drive.

Thanks!

I would like to transfer my DRV recordings to a hard drive and then burn them to a dvd on my computer. However I have not found that this is possible so the next option would be to add a 1tb external HD to my HR24-100. The HR24-100 has a USB port in the front and one in the back and also a SATA connection in the back. Can the USB ports be used or Do I need to connect with a SATA connection?

Also can someone please explain or point me in the right direction of where to find instructions on how to hook up the external drive.

Thanks!

Hello fightfan,

There are video capture cards and external hardware such as the "Hauppauge PVR" Hauppauge Computer Works Product Selector as well as other manufacturers of hardware and software. It is a process of capturing the video and writing to a hard drive and the burning the video to a DVD. Since it is on the hard drive already you play it and the software records it in a format that can be burned onto a DVD. If you want to use an external drive you have many choices but whatever you choose it must be a model with an eSATA connection as the DVR's can only be connected this way. I am expanding dfergie's information. Two of the most popular external hard drive enclosures (no hard drive included) are the "Antec MX-1 Antec.com - Product: MX-1 and the Thermaltake line of docking stations Thermaltakeusa » Storage » Docking Station . There are many SATA hard drives to choose from but the current limit from the DVR's is 2TB. Will it change in the future? Maybe or maybe not. Western Digital drives are popular and the green ones (5400 speed) seem to work well. The way to get an external hard drive to be recognized by the DVR is to connect the cable from the external hard drive and then power up the external hard drive. Wait until the hard drive is ready 30 to 60 seconds (very conservative time frame) should be sufficient. If the DVR is currently on then a restart of the DVR is needed as it can only see the external hard drive when it starts up. Will that change in the future? Who knows. The DVR will format the hard drive and then be ready to record programs just like the internal drive. One thing that you should know. The internal drive is not accessible when using an external drive. If you want to go back and use the internal drive just remove the eSATA cable and restart the DVR. You will now be able to use the internal hard drive again but not the external hard drive until you connect it back up and restart the DVR so it now will see the external hard drive again. You will have to recreate the one time and series links for recording to the external hard drive as this information seems to be written to each hard drive individually and not stored somewhere in the DVR.

Thanks guys for the great information. Fantastic info Casey, thanks for providing web sites and product info. Now deciding which way to go on this. New HD or Hauppauge PVR or both. This should be fun.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)