RV and SD Directv Through Canada & Alaska

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mitch5252

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2004
I am planning a trip to Alaska in a few weeks with my little travel trailer (leaving from TN).

My question: I have a SD D* receiver in my trailer and a portable dish (mounted on that PVC upside down mount). Dish has 2 LNBs.

I would like to use DSLookAngle to find my readings as I head northward.

What satellite name do I look for in that program to be appropriate for that dish with 2 LNBs?

Thanks so much for your help.

Regards,
Michelle

Well first of all...there is no such thing as a "2 LNB" DTV dish...did you mean 2 outputs, maybe???
There is the round 18" dish, that has a single LNB; some LNB's have 1 (earlier ones) or 2 outputs. This dish can only see 1 sat.
Then there is the oval 18"x20" dish w/3 LNB's, with 4 outputs on the LNB head. This dish sees 3 sats: 101, 110, 119.

Assuming you are using the single sat dish, you'll want to look for the 101 bird...

Well first of all...there is no such thing as a "2 LNB" DTV dish...did you mean 2 outputs, maybe???
There is the round 18" dish, that has a single LNB; some LNB's have 1 (earlier ones) or 2 outputs. This dish can only see 1 sat.
Then there is the oval 18"x20" dish w/3 LNB's, with 4 outputs on the LNB head. This dish sees 3 sats: 101, 110, 119.

Assuming you are using the single sat dish, you'll want to look for the 101 bird...

Sorry - I just went and checked out the dish. It's a single LNB. So, I can use the DSLookAngle program and choose the 101 satellite, right?

Thanks for your reply.

actually there was. The Phase II which was 18x20 and had 2 LNB's that could be removed. It was 101 & 119 only. If you wanted 110 (which at the time had HD but no longer) you needed a "Sat C" kit

I still have one of those dishes laying around here :)

Never been to Alaska but at least on the east coast we had zero issues getting signal with our motosat SL5 up in Quebec City.

As you move North in Canada you will lose all the signals, because you are out of the satellite footprint. And although there is DirecTv in Alaska, you need a much larger dish to get decent signal.

Iceberg said:
actually there was. The Phase II which was 18x20 and had 2 LNB's that could be removed. It was 101 & 119 only. If you wanted 110 (which at the time had HD but no longer) you needed a "Sat C" kit

I still have one of those dishes laying around here :)

I just pulled 1 down from a house, have it sitting in the back of the van :)

switch to a 36" dish and point at 101 and you will get SD the whole trip and in all of Alaska's highways. The 18" might barely work in yukon and alaska in perfect conditions.

switch to a 36" dish and point at 101 and you will get SD the whole trip and in all of Alaska's highways. The 18" might barely work in yukon and alaska in perfect conditions.

Getting kinda hard storing a 36" dish when traveling, most are trying to go smaller for that reason.

I take the Slimline3 with me and take the 4 bolts out of the reflector and it travels much better.

You are correct, as I actually had one of those dishes myself. I even ordered the FREE Sat C kit directly from DirecTV & added it. But those dishes were NOT made for a very long period of time, before they switched to the current P3 ovals that are still made today.
BUT, the reason I said what I did, was from the way the OP described his situation, I figured it was VERY unlikely he would have had one of those earlier P2 dishes. (since they had not made that many before going to the P3's) So rather than make things more complicated, that's why I prompted him to double-check & confirm that he really DID have a round dish. (which obviousy he did ;) )

This is a weird deja vu conversation as I noticed a 2 lnb dish in my apartment complex today and commented to myself that it seemed weird. It has probably always been there unnoticed by me, as I do not usually go over to that side of the complex, but the dog decided she wanted to go there today.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)