Adding HD Reciever question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

BatteryDude1975

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
Hello, I now have two recievers(VIP722 and VIP 612) feeding three tvs. The Vip722 going to an HD tv and SD tv, then the Vip612 going to another HD tv. Im getting a third HD tv to replace the SD tv so obviously I want to be able to get HD to all three tvs.

My question is,What would be the best way to do this? Keep the two recievers I have and add another Vip612 or give back the Vip722 for two HD recievers?

Then, my question is. What exactly are the reciever fees for addition recievers?

I have been with Dish for a long time and as much as it pains me to say. If reciever fees are going to be outrageous then I may start thinking about Direct.

Thanks for any suggestions.

You can feed another HD set from either receiver with component or HDMI, but it would mirror TV1 of the receiver you feed it from. If you REALLY need that many independent receivers, yes, you might want to look at D* but keep in mind there are major differences in programming, (pending your package) especially with what you are used to with Dish. So DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!! A lot of people have jumped without doing it and have been kicking themselves.

If you need 3 independent HD feeds, keep the 722 for your primary TV. As the primary receiver there will not be a fee. It has the most recording time and 2 tuners.

Then options for the other 2 TVs

2 of the 211k receivers + your own external USB hard drives with a one time $40 fee will make them a single tuner DVR for each of the other TVs for $7/month each, or $14. But you would have to pay for the 211s and external hard drives.

The 612 does have the advantage of recording 2 shows at once and is $3/month more. If you add a 211k to the mix you end up with $17 in extra receiver fees.

Adding a second 612 will run you $20/month in extra fees.

So, probably the cheapest thing to do is to add a 211k. Keeping the 612 even at $3/month more will be quite a while before you pay for a 211k.

My personal solution is a 722 and two 612's. $20/mo in extra receiver fees, but that's it. Everybody's happy.

Hello, this is Mike LeMar with DISH Network customer service. i just wanted to give props to mike123abc and TheKrell; that is correct information. If you have a 722 and a 612, you are already incurring one $6 DVR Service fee and one $10 additional solo DVR receiver fee. You are not being charged for the 722 receiver box. It really comes down to your personal preference as far as which receivers you ultimately want that will provide HD to all three TV's, which will determine the total extra receiver fees. If you decide to add an additional 612, you will just incur another $10 additional solo DVR receiver fee.

Hope that helps!

Like KAB said, you may want to consider mirroring the 722 or 612 or _BOTH_ on the new 3rd HDTV.

I have two 722s and four TVs. The living room 722 is in single mode, the rec room 722 in dual mode. The dual mode 722 was feeding the 2 bedrooms via TV2 out.

When we got HD in our bedroom I ran HDMI from both the 722s to it. Probably 90%+ of the time one of the two 722s is "free" to view when we want to watch our bedroom TV. When there is a conflict, we can still view the dual mode 722 TV2 output via the coax, its not HD but is still acceptable.

$70 in cables/parts and an hour or two of my time was worth avoiding the extra fees.

Like KAB said, you may want to consider mirroring the 722 or 612 or _BOTH_ on the new 3rd HDTV.

I have two 722s and four TVs. The living room 722 is in single mode, the rec room 722 in dual mode. The dual mode 722 was feeding the 2 bedrooms via TV2 out.

When we got HD in our bedroom I ran HDMI from both the 722s to it. Probably 90%+ of the time one of the two 722s is "free" to view when we want to watch our bedroom TV. When there is a conflict, we can still view the dual mode 722 TV2 output via the coax, its not HD but is still acceptable.

$70 in cables/parts and an hour or two of my time was worth avoiding the extra fees.

Interesting setup, but personal preference and availability only. Depending on distance in someone else's house, you can easily go over $70 on HDMI alone.

Depending on distance in someone else's house, you can easily go over $70 on HDMI alone.

The HDMI really shouldn't go over if you can stay in the 50 ft range, more than that and I would probably use an HDMI over Cat5 product just for ease of pulling the cable. Extra hardware cost, but the cable is less.

Length is an issue with HDMI, and admittedly my house is layed out conveniently for this. 35' cables from wallplate to wallplate for each run - $15 each. 3 six position faceplates.- $0.30 each. 4 HDMI Keytones $3.50 each. Four 6' HDMI cables - $4.00 each. Plus add in a little shipping and a couple extra keystones to swap the existing faceplates out. Running everything took about 4 hours - but that included running and terminating ethernet back to my patch panel as well.

Everything works great and passes 1080p/BluRay 3D and without issue.

I actually like it better than a 3rd DVR because I have access to my "main" receiver's DVR and EHD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)