Adding rcvr

SA Holly Springs GA

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
In the woods
Have 3 vip612's now. Have 3 lines off dish to the back of each rcvr.

I wanna add 3 more 612's. Is 2 dp44 switches all I need? Or do I need a PI as well.

Edit: Also these are gonna be all in a central location so I will need RF remotes. What extra equipment do I need?

Last edited:
You could get by with a single DPP44 and a single DPP33 (which has no passthrough ports) for a little cost savings. I gather the power inserter is always recommended on port 1 of your DPP44, even though some people have powered it from their receivers alone.

Regarding remotes, my 612's came with stubby antennas and UHF Pro 6.3 remotes.

TheKrell said:
You could get by with a single DPP44 and a single DPP33 (which has no passthrough ports) for a little cost savings. I gather the power inserter is always recommended on port 1 of your DPP44, even though some people have powered it off their receivers alone.

I have 2 44 switches from an old job. Can I use those? PI needed?

You're going to have 6 612 receivers in your house? Yikes! Sounds like overkill, but if you can do it and afford that is one hell of a set up.

Yes you can; sorry I wasn't clear. I have never played with a DPP44, so I'm no authority. Some folks claim they have run this switch for years w/o a power inserter, while others claim flaky performance or worse.

Yes, you do need the power inserters on both of the DPP44s

Yes you can; sorry I wasn't clear. I have never played with a DPP44, so I'm no authority. Some folks claim they have run this switch for years w/o a power inserter, while others claim flaky performance or worse.

Where is DPP44 may work without a PI, it is more likely to fail and cause problems.

I would recommend you switch out the k.2 lnb, for a W bracket LNB with 3 singles or duals. Pairing a k.2 with a 44SW has been know to cause problems with the internal switch in the LNB. Sometimes they work for years, sometimes they work for days... And use a power inserter in the first switch for sure, the 2nd one you stack isn't as important.

Scherrman said:
You're going to have 6 612 receivers in your house? Yikes! Sounds like overkill, but if you can do it and afford that is one hell of a set up.

Lol I'm installing it. I have installed Dtv for some time now and some E but never have I done an install with switches. Only uninstalled them.

With this guy. Money is no issue. He wants HD DVR and being able to pause live tv from EVERY tv.

Thanks for the Replies

SA Holly Springs GA said:
Have 3 vip612's now. Have 3 lines off dish to the back of each rcvr.

I wanna add 3 more 612's. Is 2 dp44 switches all I need? Or do I need a PI as well.

Edit: Also these are gonna be all in a central location so I will need RF remotes. What extra equipment do I need?

Yes cascading switches possible. Powe inserters are needed for each, and if you look at the face of the switch it has a diagram how they work together.

Sorry to keep this this thing going...

Customer decided to only add 2 more 612's for 5 total.

Is it better to use

2 44 switches or

44 and 33 switch (also which comes first off dish?)

Is it better to use 2 44 switches or 44 and 33 switch (also which comes first off dish?)

This was my suggestion (for cost) to begin with! The dpp44 and dpp33 together have 7 DPP ports, so you can run 7, or 6, or 5 receivers off them no problem. The DPP33 uses no power inserter, so that part is simplified as well as the DPP33 being vastly cheaper.

N.B. the DPP33 has no passthrough ports. So the DPP44 comes first, with the DPP33 fed from the passthrough ports on the DPP44. Also note that the DPP33 has only 3 input ports! So, if your customer's dish setup has 4 different orbitals, then you are stuck with 2 DPP44s.

I got it all hooked up with a 44 switch and a 34 switch.

I brought an existing 612 that the customer had in another room and couldn't acquire a signal with 2 44 switches (both powered) even after running a check switch so I put in a 34 switch.

Now when I turn one of the new ones on it says partial signal loss on another rcvr.

How many tuners can the 1k4 lnb, a 44 switch and a 34 switch hold?

There is 6 612's total.

No no! A DP34 switch will not work with dual-tuner receivers unless you run a separate cable to each tuner. Were you to do that, you could support 6 dual-tuner receivers. Painful. Just get a DPP33 switch or a DPP44 switch that works!

TheKrell said:
No no! A DP34 switch will not work with dual-tuner receivers unless you run a separate cable to each tuner. Were you to do that, you could support 6 dual-tuner receivers. Painful. Just get a DPP33 switch or a DPP44 switch that works!

I appreciate the info. Still gettin the hang of dish.

TheKrell said:

Would my 44 34 combo be causing the rcvrs hooked up to 44 switch to have partial signal loss?