Adding UVerse TV. Told I would need to cancel UVerse first.

gbertler

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 26, 2003
I currently have internet and phone service through AT&T Uverse. The modem I have is a Motorola NVG510. TV service is now available in my area and I was told by an AT&T rep that since it's a different technology, I'm assuming the modulation and modem, that I would need to cancel service first and then setup a new UVerse account. Is this true? Is my only option to port out my number to another provider, cancel my Uverse account, then switch back to Uverse with a new account?
Thank you,
Greg

Sounds awfully fishy to me. Did you call AT&T or a reseller? Resellers may get better kickbacks on new customers than they do existing customer upgrades.

I called AT&T UVerse customer support. I'm going to call during the week and talk to someone else. I agree. I can't see why I'd have to do that.

Yeah, That sounds wrong. Sure they may need to come out, and change your modem, and some other stuff, but no reason you should have to completely drop then come bock.

I currently have internet and phone service through AT&T Uverse. The modem I have is a Motorola NVG510. TV service is now available in my area and I was told by an AT&T rep that since it's a different technology, I'm assuming the modulation and modem, that I would need to cancel service first and then setup a new UVerse account. Is this true? Is my only option to port out my number to another provider, cancel my Uverse account, then switch back to Uverse with a new account?
Thank you,
Greg
No, they will do this for you.
If you were going from Basic DSL over to Uverse Internet, yes they change your account over to U Verse.
However, theres nothing you would need to do, thats something that they should take care of for you.
They will port your number from a POTS line to a Uverse line as well. That part is entirely different, going from pots to VOIP (Uverse phone is Voip, for those that didn't know) the company is trying to get every one changed over before 2020.

That part is entirely different, going from pots to VOIP (Uverse phone is Voip, for those that didn't know) the company is trying to get every one changed over before 2020.
While this doesn't seem a particularly ambitious schedule, I bet they'll go wireless rather than replacing the miles of copper that serve some.

While this doesn't seem a particularly ambitious schedule, I bet they'll go wireless rather than replacing the miles of copper that serve some.
Copper is already out there ...
Wireless ?
Every VRAD is said to have Wireless capability, weather it actually is doable, who knows.

My date may be off, it might have been 2016 or 17, the boss was talking about it a few weeks ago and I don't remember exactly, lots of info comes and goes , many of which are not of immediate concern.

But copper without lots of loading isn't any good for data. We're talking about phone lines that are miles past the 20,000 or so wire foot limit of data.
Very few lines THAT long that are fed for data anymore.
With the vrad boxes being pushed out farther and farther and the distance from those boxes also being pushed out.
I think I saw and update the other day saying that they were starting to push the distance out from the Vrads to about 17,000 feet now, thats about 4 times as far as we went when I was working in that department on a regular basis.
You can push out even farther with pair bonding.

A lot of the distance issue is being resolved by newer modems with better ability to handle the longer ranges.

That said, they will never get to everyone and they don't intend to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)