Additional 811 Problems?

rjallen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 16, 2003
I am a new owner of an 811- 2 weeks. I use component connections and do not have the dark issues. I am familiar with the OTA / Channel Guide issues.

I've discovered two additional issues and I would like to see how widespread they are.

1. I turn the box off each night. It does stay connected to power. When I first turn it on the next day, I have the sat signal lost message displaying. Sometimes, I can just use the channel up or down button and the 811 finds an active channel. I can also solve it with a hard re-set [unplugging the 811 for 20 seconds]. Sometimes changing channels does not work and the box gives me a message there is a problem with the switch and I must run a switch test. This always restores things. As long as I watch content, I never have a problem. Its only after I turn the thing off.

2. As above, when I turn the 811 on, I have lost all channel guide information on all stations. The 811 only goes out 2 or so hours- sometimes much less and does not update. After the box is on for a few minutes, the guide is restored.

3. This is the most aggravating problem. I use an optical cable to a JVC Receiver. It works flawlessly with my 4900 or 510. I have the 811 box set to send DD and PCM. Most of the time, it works fine. But every other day, I have the following problem: I have my 510 on the same RPTV and use it for most of my SD TV watching, when I change inputs-going to the component HD inputs, I sometimes have no sound. Many times I have opened up the back of my cabinet, pulled the TV from the wall to check connections. In every case, the connections are fine. Even doing a hard re-set of the 811 sometimes does not work sometimes it does. Other times, sound is restored by a combination of going to system set-up DD and changing the optical output back and forth between PCM Only, DD, and DD & PCM. Sound is finally restored. The same optical connector has been used with the 510 as I said before without any problem.

It's interesting to note these issues did not crop up for the first 4 or 5 days. I had no problems with the guide [except for the limited coverage] or the having to reset the box. I have read others with problems having to reset the box but I am not sure if they had the exact same problem as I.

Please respond if you have seen similar issues.

Rick

rjallen said:
I am a new owner of an 811- 2 weeks. I use component connections and do not have the dark issues. I am familiar with the OTA / Channel Guide issues.

I've discovered two additional issues and I would like to see how widespread they are.

1. I turn the box off each night. It does stay connected to power. When I first turn it on the next day, I have the sat signal lost message displaying. Sometimes, I can just use the channel up or down button and the 811 finds an active channel. I can also solve it with a hard re-set [unplugging the 811 for 20 seconds]. Sometimes changing channels does not work and the box gives me a message there is a problem with the switch and I must run a switch test. This always restores things. As long as I watch content, I never have a problem. Its only after I turn the thing off.

2. As above, when I turn the 811 on, I have lost all channel guide information on all stations. The 811 only goes out 2 or so hours- sometimes much less and does not update. After the box is on for a few minutes, the guide is restored.

3. This is the most aggravating problem. I use an optical cable to a JVC Receiver. It works flawlessly with my 4900 or 510. I have the 811 box set to send DD and PCM. Most of the time, it works fine. But every other day, I have the following problem: I have my 510 on the same RPTV and use it for most of my SD TV watching, when I change inputs-going to the component HD inputs, I sometimes have no sound. Many times I have opened up the back of my cabinet, pulled the TV from the wall to check connections. In every case, the connections are fine. Even doing a hard re-set of the 811 sometimes does not work sometimes it does. Other times, sound is restored by a combination of going to system set-up DD and changing the optical output back and forth between PCM Only, DD, and DD & PCM. Sound is finally restored. The same optical connector has been used with the 510 as I said before without any problem.

It's interesting to note these issues did not crop up for the first 4 or 5 days. I had no problems with the guide [except for the limited coverage] or the having to reset the box. I have read others with problems having to reset the box but I am not sure if they had the exact same problem as I.

Please respond if you have seen similar issues.

Rick

I Consistently have Problem #1 but not #2 or #3

#1 is a known issue. This thread shows others having the same problem.

In my situation, #2 is related to #1. After I run 'check switch', the 2 hour guide is fine.

For #3, I do occasionally lose sound from the optical output, but all I have to do is change the channel and I get sound back. Never had to do a reset. If you do a search, I believe there was a thread discussing optical audio issues.

It was mentioned in one of the stickys (tech Chat Recap) that a software update for a 2-day guide is coming at the end of February and a fix for the SD darkness issue is coming in March. Hopefully #1 will be fixed in one of these updates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)