Additional 811 Problems?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rjallen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 16, 2003
I am a new owner of an 811- 2 weeks. I use component connections and do not have the dark issues. I am familiar with the OTA / Channel Guide issues.

I've discovered two additional issues and I would like to see how widespread they are.

1. I turn the box off each night. It does stay connected to power. When I first turn it on the next day, I have the sat signal lost message displaying. Sometimes, I can just use the channel up or down button and the 811 finds an active channel. I can also solve it with a hard re-set [unplugging the 811 for 20 seconds]. Sometimes changing channels does not work and the box gives me a message there is a problem with the switch and I must run a switch test. This always restores things. As long as I watch content, I never have a problem. Its only after I turn the thing off.

2. As above, when I turn the 811 on, I have lost all channel guide information on all stations. The 811 only goes out 2 or so hours- sometimes much less and does not update. After the box is on for a few minutes, the guide is restored.

3. This is the most aggravating problem. I use an optical cable to a JVC Receiver. It works flawlessly with my 4900 or 510. I have the 811 box set to send DD and PCM. Most of the time, it works fine. But every other day, I have the following problem: I have my 510 on the same RPTV and use it for most of my SD TV watching, when I change inputs-going to the component HD inputs, I sometimes have no sound. Many times I have opened up the back of my cabinet, pulled the TV from the wall to check connections. In every case, the connections are fine. Even doing a hard re-set of the 811 sometimes does not work sometimes it does. Other times, sound is restored by a combination of going to system set-up DD and changing the optical output back and forth between PCM Only, DD, and DD & PCM. Sound is finally restored. The same optical connector has been used with the 510 as I said before without any problem.

It's interesting to note these issues did not crop up for the first 4 or 5 days. I had no problems with the guide [except for the limited coverage] or the having to reset the box. I have read others with problems having to reset the box but I am not sure if they had the exact same problem as I.

Please respond if you have seen similar issues.

Rick

rjallen said:
I am a new owner of an 811- 2 weeks. I use component connections and do not have the dark issues. I am familiar with the OTA / Channel Guide issues.

I've discovered two additional issues and I would like to see how widespread they are.

1. I turn the box off each night. It does stay connected to power. When I first turn it on the next day, I have the sat signal lost message displaying. Sometimes, I can just use the channel up or down button and the 811 finds an active channel. I can also solve it with a hard re-set [unplugging the 811 for 20 seconds]. Sometimes changing channels does not work and the box gives me a message there is a problem with the switch and I must run a switch test. This always restores things. As long as I watch content, I never have a problem. Its only after I turn the thing off.

2. As above, when I turn the 811 on, I have lost all channel guide information on all stations. The 811 only goes out 2 or so hours- sometimes much less and does not update. After the box is on for a few minutes, the guide is restored.

3. This is the most aggravating problem. I use an optical cable to a JVC Receiver. It works flawlessly with my 4900 or 510. I have the 811 box set to send DD and PCM. Most of the time, it works fine. But every other day, I have the following problem: I have my 510 on the same RPTV and use it for most of my SD TV watching, when I change inputs-going to the component HD inputs, I sometimes have no sound. Many times I have opened up the back of my cabinet, pulled the TV from the wall to check connections. In every case, the connections are fine. Even doing a hard re-set of the 811 sometimes does not work sometimes it does. Other times, sound is restored by a combination of going to system set-up DD and changing the optical output back and forth between PCM Only, DD, and DD & PCM. Sound is finally restored. The same optical connector has been used with the 510 as I said before without any problem.

It's interesting to note these issues did not crop up for the first 4 or 5 days. I had no problems with the guide [except for the limited coverage] or the having to reset the box. I have read others with problems having to reset the box but I am not sure if they had the exact same problem as I.

Please respond if you have seen similar issues.

Rick

I Consistently have Problem #1 but not #2 or #3

#1 is a known issue. This thread shows others having the same problem.

In my situation, #2 is related to #1. After I run 'check switch', the 2 hour guide is fine.

For #3, I do occasionally lose sound from the optical output, but all I have to do is change the channel and I get sound back. Never had to do a reset. If you do a search, I believe there was a thread discussing optical audio issues.

It was mentioned in one of the stickys (tech Chat Recap) that a software update for a 2-day guide is coming at the end of February and a fix for the SD darkness issue is coming in March. Hopefully #1 will be fixed in one of these updates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)