Additional Channels offered until VIACOM dispute is resolved

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

AppliedAggression

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
Connecticut
Dish Network has opened up several channels to all packages in order to try to soften the blow. Especially for families with kids, I think this might be very useful information. A positive thread on viacom doesn't hurt either.

The channels available to everyone now are:

Disney (previously only available on AT 60)
Network: DISNEY CHANNEL
Channel Name: DISNE
Category: FAMILY

Description: We've got it! Disney Channel's got original series, music specials, and a new original movie premiering every month!

Channel: 172-173

Toon Disney (previously only available on AT 120)
Network: TOON DISNEY
Channel Name: TDISN
Category: FAMILY

Description: Toon Disney is a channel programmed from over 2000 animated titles loved by kids and trusted by parents. Toon Disney is the cartoon channel that brings smiles to kids 24-hours a day-it's TOON DISNEY!

Channel: 174

Fuse Network (previously only available on AT 120)
Network: FUSE
Channel Name: FUSE
Category: MUSIC

Description: Fuse is the next generation music television network with interactive programming that gives viewers the opportunity to program the channel and make their opinions matter. It reflects the rapidly changing interests and attitudes of its 12-34 year-old audience by incorporating their opinions and suggestions into its on-air and online programming.

Channel: 158

WAM! (previously only available on AT 180)
Network: ENCORE WAM/AMERICA'S KIDZ NETWORK
Channel Name: WAM
Category: GENL ENTERTAINMENT

Description: WAM! is the first and only commercial free channel dedicated entirely to 8-16 year olds. WAM bring kidz the world with "Education that Entertains, and Entertainment that Educates."

Channel 347

Hey, its a start. Charlie could say "screw it. Im not giving any free previews" .

remember people.....ITS JUST TV!!!!!!

I wish Charlie would cough up Speed Channel instead of the stuff listed up top, but hey, that's just me.

Hopefully Viacom and Dish can work out a reasonable settlement soon.

According to the DISH CSR, they posted a message last week that they were dumping the channels, and she said DISH posted it on their FYI channel. I don't remember seeing that? She said that was their advanced notice.

Also, she said that the $1 credit is only temporary until they come up with a solution.

Neutron said:
According to the DISH CSR, they posted a message last week that they were dumping the channels, and she said DISH posted it on their FYI channel. I don't remember seeing that? She said that was their advanced notice.

Also, she said that the $1 credit is only temporary until they come up with a solution.

Millions of subscribers never tune to channel 101 or look at www.dishnetwork.com .

Charlie should have replaced some of the PPV commercials with a message that this would be happening. That would have reduced the shock to some of the subscribers.

/Benjamin

I echo what was mentioned by a previous poster...

These extra channels do nothing for me, as I was already receiving them.

Let's face facts, Dish cannot find or offer programming that would be considered suitable as replacement for the removed Viacom channels by the majority of subscribers.

I am full supporter of getting the best deal possible in business negotiations. What bothers me is the fact that Dish has made the decision to penalize its own subscribers in order to prove a point in its negotiations with Viacom. Dish could have very easily left the decision to pay more monthly for the Viacom programming with their subscribers. In the very least, Dish could have put forth efforts in warning their subscribers with more than the Charlie Chat notice that the Viacom channels would be pulled.

Dish subscribers make decisions concerning programming availability on Dish Network on a monthly basis by making their payments to Dish, and as such, Dish subscribers have every right to be angry with Dish management in making the decision to pull what is considered "core" programming by most subscribers.

Ultimately the subscriber base is what keeps Dish in business. Dish network does not provide any of its services to subscribers for free. After the way Dish Network has displayed complete disdain for its customers in the Viacom dispute, many subscribers may choose to return the compliment by leaving Dish. Bottom line... less subscribers paying monthly fees, less ability for Dish Network to stay in business.

A disappointed Dish Network customer,

G

This is from the Residential Agreement posted on the Dish Network site:

G. Changes in Services offered. DISH Network reserves the right to change the Services that we offer,
and our prices or fees related to such Services at any time. If the change affects you,
we will provide you notice of the change and its effective date.
The notice may be provided on your billing statement or by other communication permitted under Section 9B.
In the event of a change in the contents of any programming, programming packages or other Services,
you understand and agree that we have no obligation to replace or supplement the programming,
programming packages or other Services previously offered that have been deleted,
rearranged or otherwise changed. You further understand and agree you will not be entitled to
any refund because of a change in the contents of any programming, programming packages,
or other Services previously offered.

B. Notice. If we send you notice, it will be considered given when deposited in the U.S. Mail,
addressed to you at your billing address or hand-delivered to you.
Our notice to you will also be effective if provided on your billing statement or by telephone.
If you give notice to us, it will be deemed given when received by us at the address listed on
the first page of this Agreement.

Now that I can get onto dishnetwork.com , AT60 looks pretty bare. Its a good thing they count shopping channels into the total of channels, otherwise I don't think it would hit 60.

/Benjamin

Bravo Charlie! for taking a stand. About time someone attempted to slow the outrageous pricing. Charlie is making a statement, and I support him.

johnmart said:
Bravo Charlie! for taking a stand. About time someone attempted to slow the outrageous pricing. Charlie is making a statement, and I support him.

Well pulling nickelodeon from kids isn't exactly what I would expect is right to make a statement!

Well, wish i offered this advice earlier, but we all knew this was coming. If you have kids who can't live without Nick, then it would have been useful to record a bunch of their shows ahead of time.

Take this time to show your kids different things.

homergreg said:
Well pulling nickelodeon from kids isn't exactly what I would expect is right to make a statement!

On a slightly humorous note-

My daughters got up this morning (I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old) and wanted to watch Dora.

My wife told them jokingly that Charlie said they can't watch Dora. We must have spent 20 minutes going over what cartoons they could and could not watch. (Yes, you can watch Stanley. No, you can't watch Little Bill.) When it's time to watch TV, we go through the guide and tell them whats on so they can pick.

My five year old has spent most of the day upset because Charlie says she can't watch SpongeBob. For some reason she is most upset about Spongebob. (She watches Spongbob maybe once a month at the most :) .)

By the way - They know who Charlie is from the Charlie Chats.

/Benjamin

The issue is partly price (40% increase over 5 years?) and partly about bundling a lot of cr*p with CBS. I get CBS OTA and don't care about MTV and that garbage. The kids channels, well, the kids can somehow survive with watching other channels or less TV can't they? I think a $1 a month credit is a little light considering the number of channels dropped.

I could live with those channels never coming back, but understand that the vast majority of customers expect them. I support Dish dropping the channels and definitely do not want another rate increase to add more cr*p channels.

Keith.

johnmart said:

Agreed. Here's a copy of the e-mail I sent to ceoofdishnetwork@echostar.com last night:

I'd like to say, I'm impressed with the stand you're taking against Viacom. It's refreshing to see a company going to such lengths to keep costs down for it's customers. Even if we lose the Viacom channels for a while, I intend to stay a Dish customer. It's about time someone stood up to the unbridled greed of these programming providers. Good job, and keep it up!

Last edited by a moderator:
AppliedAggression said:
Well, wish i offered this advice earlier, but we all knew this was coming. If you have kids who can't live without Nick, then it would have been useful to record a bunch of their shows ahead of time.
If your kids can't live without Nick, I'd say there are bigger issues....

hall said:
If your kids can't live without Nick, I'd say there are bigger issues....

Again - I don't know how many times I have to go through this. I would like to not have to pay for ESPN / FoxSportsNet and the rest of the channels I don't watch. Multichannel services are not offered like that, so we have to take what we can get.

My children can live without Nick.

However, we purchased Charlies services based on having Nick. In fact, I do believe its logo is on the smartcards. It was advertised heavily in all dish product literature when we signed up. Nick's logo has appeared in Dish's newspaper ads just a few weeks ago.

People don't sign up for Charlie Chats and Bingo TV. They sign up for the content Charlie provides. I'm sure you signed up knowing Charlie had your favorite channels available.

Don't tell me that you would not be upset if the channels you liked went dark over a contract pissing match.

When I turn on the TV, I damn well expect the channels that I signed up for and have paid for to be there. I would expect you feel the same way about your favorite channels.

So - I would appreciate it if you can get down off your high horse and stop picking on the children's channels.

/Benjamin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)