CBS, EchoStar Nearing Deal Over Channels

B

BarryO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 11, 2003
188
0
NightRyder said:
Looks like the rhetoric is finally being toned down. :)

See Story.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...2&e=8&u=/ap/20040310/ap_en_tv/echostar_viacom


NightRyder

So why are members of Congress spending our tax dollars, worrying about whether or not some basketball games are on TV? 'don't they have lots more important things to be spending their time on? Let's see: war, terrorism, the economy, the budget deficit, Social Security -- nope, I guess the NCAA is more important in their minds!
 
NightRyder

NightRyder

Thread Starter
1978 Y88 T/A 6.6 4 spd 1978-2020 RIP
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
3,545
8
NW Oregon
BarryO said:
So why are members of Congress spending our tax dollars, worrying about whether or not some basketball games are on TV? 'don't they have lots more important things to be spending their time on? Let's see: war, terrorism, the economy, the budget deficit, Social Security -- nope, I guess the NCAA is more important in their minds!

Maybe because they are Members of the House telecommunications subcommittee :confused:


NightRyder
 
Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
100,711
20,298
Newington, CT
I have JUST heard that they are now 95% complete with an agreement, they are just working on some final details.

I was also told that Dish did not want NOGGIN, Nick GAS or MTV2 back, however now it appears they will return, however no word on NIcktoons which was one of the sticking points Charlie mentioned last night.
 
n0qcu

n0qcu

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
4,930
1,518
Earth
I thought that DISH had NOGGIN back in 97, now they nolonger want it?
 
B

BarryO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 11, 2003
188
0
NightRyder said:
Maybe because they are Members of the House telecommunications subcommittee :confused:


NightRyder

Fine. They should be worrying about the fact we're a 2nd-rate country when it comes to broadband and telecommunications infrastructure, on our way to being a 3rd-rate country, behind Europe, Japan, Korea, Canada, and even China. But these "leaders" don't seem to care, and view telecommunications policy strictly as a way of getting campaign contributions from telephone companies.
 
Bruce

Bruce

That is my dog Bender, the real Member of the Year
Supporting Founder
Nov 29, 2003
7,350
7,617
I rather have NickTOONS then Noggin,my eight year girl has outgrown NOGGIN and would be in heaven with NickTOONS.
 
Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
100,711
20,298
Newington, CT
I say keep Noggin as my toddler loves it, but get rid of Nick GAS, I dont think anyone watches that, my kids wont even watch it.

I do want Nicktoons! :)
 
Bruce

Bruce

That is my dog Bender, the real Member of the Year
Supporting Founder
Nov 29, 2003
7,350
7,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryO
"on our way to being a 3rd-rate country, behind Europe" :confused:

and what a ....country...it is with all those states like England,France.... :D
 
NightRyder

NightRyder

Thread Starter
1978 Y88 T/A 6.6 4 spd 1978-2020 RIP
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
3,545
8
NW Oregon
bruce said:
"on our way to being a 3rd-rate country, behind Europe" :confused:

and what a ....country...it is with all those states like England,France.... :D

LOL! :haha :clap
 
C

Chris Walker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 25, 2004
792
67
Scott Greczkowski said:
I have JUST heard that they are now 95% complete with an agreement, they are just working on some final details.

I was also told that Dish did not want NOGGIN, Nick GAS or MTV2 back, however now it appears they will return, however no word on NIcktoons which was one of the sticking points Charlie mentioned last night.

Good news Scott! Thanks for the update. Glad to see MTV2 will be back, although they should drop Noggin and replace it with PBS Kids IMO.
 
M

metallicafreak

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 12, 2003
76
0
MTV2= Headbangger's ball = I want it.
'They didn't want it' what about what WE want
 
Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
100,711
20,298
Newington, CT
MTV2 = Bevis and Butthead! I havent really watched MTV2 until they added the dumbwitted duo!
 
M

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
306
54
Mankato, MN
metallicafreak said:
MTV2= Headbangger's ball = I want it.
'They didn't want it' what about what WE want

I don't want this "new" ball....GIVE ME THE ORIGINAL HEADBANGERS BALL!! :D
 
dlsnyder

dlsnyder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
1,825
3
Moreno Valley, CA
All this time I thought that Noggin was a joint effort between PBS and Viacom and was offered as a freebie with their other programming. Is Dish actually paying for this?

My 9 year old son actually watches Nick GAS from time to time. The prizes that they give away from back in the 80's are kind of fun. I don't think you can even get BK sneakers anymore. They used to give those away alot.
 
D

dbronstein

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 8, 2003
104
0
Chris Walker said:
Good news Scott! Thanks for the update. Glad to see MTV2 will be back, although they should drop Noggin and replace it with PBS Kids IMO.

They better keep Noggin.
 
C

Chris Walker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 25, 2004
792
67
Scott, did you get any impression of when this would be over? Does "soon" mean tonight or tomorrow hopefully?
 
A

aperry

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 26, 2003
700
0
My nieces love Nick GAS, they watch it all the time when visiting!
 
C

Chris Walker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 25, 2004
792
67
One good thing about this spat is that it's making Charlie aware there are other services out there that people want. He even admitted on the chat Monday that Oxygen and PBS Kids were there most requested channels. He's probably had someone talk to them in advance of this Viacom dispute, so there's a chance we may see something happen with those 2 or possibly more after the Viacom deal is reached.
 
J

jeffwtux

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 25, 2003
274
0
dlsnyder: I always thought that Noggin was a joint effort between Viacom and CBC, as Degrassi and a bunch of other programs are from Canada.
 

Similar threads

John Corn
Replies
4
Views
2K
sparker
S
AppliedAggression
Replies
10
Views
2K
dlsnyder
dlsnyder
Poke
Replies
1
Views
1K
korsjs
K
T
Replies
12
Views
2K
BobaBird
B
Lkr
Replies
9
Views
2K
garys
G

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top