CBS, EchoStar Nearing Deal Over Channels

NightRyder said:
Looks like the rhetoric is finally being toned down. :)

See Story.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...2&e=8&u=/ap/20040310/ap_en_tv/echostar_viacom

NightRyder

So why are members of Congress spending our tax dollars, worrying about whether or not some basketball games are on TV? 'don't they have lots more important things to be spending their time on? Let's see: war, terrorism, the economy, the budget deficit, Social Security -- nope, I guess the NCAA is more important in their minds!

BarryO said:
So why are members of Congress spending our tax dollars, worrying about whether or not some basketball games are on TV? 'don't they have lots more important things to be spending their time on? Let's see: war, terrorism, the economy, the budget deficit, Social Security -- nope, I guess the NCAA is more important in their minds!

Maybe because they are Members of the House telecommunications subcommittee :confused:

NightRyder

I have JUST heard that they are now 95% complete with an agreement, they are just working on some final details.

I was also told that Dish did not want NOGGIN, Nick GAS or MTV2 back, however now it appears they will return, however no word on NIcktoons which was one of the sticking points Charlie mentioned last night.

NightRyder said:
Maybe because they are Members of the House telecommunications subcommittee :confused:

NightRyder

Fine. They should be worrying about the fact we're a 2nd-rate country when it comes to broadband and telecommunications infrastructure, on our way to being a 3rd-rate country, behind Europe, Japan, Korea, Canada, and even China. But these "leaders" don't seem to care, and view telecommunications policy strictly as a way of getting campaign contributions from telephone companies.

I rather have NickTOONS then Noggin,my eight year girl has outgrown NOGGIN and would be in heaven with NickTOONS.

I say keep Noggin as my toddler loves it, but get rid of Nick GAS, I dont think anyone watches that, my kids wont even watch it.

I do want Nicktoons! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryO
"on our way to being a 3rd-rate country, behind Europe" :confused:

and what a ....country...it is with all those states like England,France.... :D

bruce said:
"on our way to being a 3rd-rate country, behind Europe" :confused:

and what a ....country...it is with all those states like England,France.... :D

LOL! :haha :clap

Scott Greczkowski said:
I have JUST heard that they are now 95% complete with an agreement, they are just working on some final details.

I was also told that Dish did not want NOGGIN, Nick GAS or MTV2 back, however now it appears they will return, however no word on NIcktoons which was one of the sticking points Charlie mentioned last night.

Good news Scott! Thanks for the update. Glad to see MTV2 will be back, although they should drop Noggin and replace it with PBS Kids IMO.

All this time I thought that Noggin was a joint effort between PBS and Viacom and was offered as a freebie with their other programming. Is Dish actually paying for this?

My 9 year old son actually watches Nick GAS from time to time. The prizes that they give away from back in the 80's are kind of fun. I don't think you can even get BK sneakers anymore. They used to give those away alot.

Chris Walker said:
Good news Scott! Thanks for the update. Glad to see MTV2 will be back, although they should drop Noggin and replace it with PBS Kids IMO.

They better keep Noggin.

One good thing about this spat is that it's making Charlie aware there are other services out there that people want. He even admitted on the chat Monday that Oxygen and PBS Kids were there most requested channels. He's probably had someone talk to them in advance of this Viacom dispute, so there's a chance we may see something happen with those 2 or possibly more after the Viacom deal is reached.

dlsnyder: I always thought that Noggin was a joint effort between Viacom and CBC, as Degrassi and a bunch of other programs are from Canada.