CBS, EchoStar Nearing Deal Over Channels

BarryO said:
So why are members of Congress spending our tax dollars, worrying about whether or not some basketball games are on TV? 'don't they have lots more important things to be spending their time on? Let's see: war, terrorism, the economy, the budget deficit, Social Security -- nope, I guess the NCAA is more important in their minds!
Two words. Election year. People don't care about the war, terrorism, or social security. They want thier Sponge Bob. They want their MTV. They don't want to have to actually watch their kids...they would much rather Nick do that. Parents vote...Congress critters need their votes. Connect the dots.

Actually NOGGIN was a join venture between Nickelodion and the Childrens Television Workshop. (Now Sesame Workshop)

I remember when Noggin first came on the air, their aired really old editions of ZOOM from the 70's and 3,2,1 Contact, as well are some really old editions of Sesame Street.

BarryO said:
So why are members of Congress spending our tax dollars, worrying about whether or not some basketball games are on TV? 'don't they have lots more important things to be spending their time on? Let's see: war, terrorism, the economy, the budget deficit, Social Security -- nope, I guess the NCAA is more important in their minds!

Because when people don't get their TV people are unhappy. People in power want to keep the people happy so they don't get voted out.

Or to quote someone:

What is supposed to happen in a democracy is that each sovereign citizen will always vote in the public interest for the safety and welfare of all. But what does happen is that he votes his own self-interest as he sees it... which for the majority translates as 'Bread and Circuses'.
-Robert Heinlein

So when a politican can do something to make it look like he is helping you get your basketball back a lot of people will be happy about that and think they are doing a good job.

And in his defense I think both Viacom and E* is scared of what an angry congress could do to make either of their lives harder and a few words from them might get things moving.

Also let me second the love of the Beavis and Butthead reruns, and even those Daria reruns were fun (but im not sure what channel that was on).

And, of course, since this affects the East Coast, the politicians speak up. What about Pappas/Dish? No Fox or WB in Fresno. If it doesn't get fixed by October, there will be no World Series available on Dish in Fresno, Bakersfield or Sioux City.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Actually NOGGIN was a join venture between Nickelodion and the Childrens Television Workshop. (Now Sesame Workshop)

I remember when Noggin first came on the air, their aired really old editions of ZOOM from the 70's and 3,2,1 Contact, as well are some really old editions of Sesame Street.

Yeah, that's it! I remember watching old episodes of "The Electric Company" with my son when it first came on. Wow, those were the days. Whatever happened to that guy on Electric Company - Morgan Freeman?

Scott Greczkowski said:

My children love some of the original programming on Noggin.

I think that 3,2,1 Contact is still on Noggin. I think it airs in the middle of the night, so a PVR would be necessary for kids to see it.

I remember seeing reruns of 3,2,1 Contact when I was a kid on PBS. I thought is was a great show.

/Benjamin

Was 3-2-1 Contact the show that had that Mathematician show on it with those 2 characters who were smart in Math?

Scott Greczkowski said:
I say keep Noggin as my toddler loves it, but get rid of Nick GAS, I dont think anyone watches that, my kids wont even watch it.

I do want Nicktoons! :)

You guys are wrong my kids watch that all the time! Want it back! :yes

Chris Walker said:
Good news Scott! Thanks for the update. Glad to see MTV2 will be back, although they should drop Noggin and replace it with PBS Kids IMO.

My kids love Noggin, IMO they should keep it and add PBS kids.

I am already having more fun in spite of the Viacom thing. I just got a 508 a couple of weeks ago and realized that this would be the perfect time to get my free second dish installed. The guy came out and put it in on Monday and gave me a free SW64 to boot. Now I have my 508 set up as a whole house DVR server as well as both TVs having their own box. In one way it's better than having two independant two-tuner PVRs - you can watch recordings on either set. Life is good, even without Spongebob!

dlsnyder said:
I am already having more fun in spite of the Viacom thing. I just got a 508 a couple of weeks ago and realized that this would be the perfect time to get my free second dish installed. The guy came out and put it in on Monday and gave me a free SW64 to boot. Now I have my 508 set up as a whole house DVR server as well as both TVs having their own box. In one way it's better than having two independant two-tuner PVRs - you can watch recordings on either set. Life is good, even without Spongebob!

How did you do that??

I used the RF modulator on the 508 to feed the signal throughout the house. Each TV also has its own independant box directly connected to it on S-video or composite input.

Neutron said:
Was 3-2-1 Contact the show that had that Mathematician show on it with those 2 characters who were smart in Math?

I think you are thinking of 'Mathnet' part of Square One Television. I loved that show. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts