Additional Channels offered until VIACOM dispute is resolved

btbrossard said:
So - I would appreciate it if you can get down off your high horse and stop picking on the children's channels.
Don't go overboard there, chief.... My kids like Nick but they're still alive this evening. The point of this is $$$$$. I do *not* want to pay higher and higher rates every year like what my local cable company does. I agree with Dish on the principle of all this.

hall said:
Don't go overboard there, chief.... My kids like Nick but they're still alive this evening. The point of this is $$$$$. I do *not* want to pay higher and higher rates every year like what my local cable company does. I agree with Dish on the principle of all this.

It was rather cranky, eh?

I just hate hearing over and over again that those Viacom channels are crap. I understand that some people most likely NEVER watch a Viacom channel. However, these same people would want Dish to pay whatever to renew some sports channels contract (ESPN, anyone?).

I also agree with the principle that Dish should not have to sign all these channels together AND pick up a new channel AND renegotiate SpikeTV, et all. I also agree that Viacom should not be able to use CBS as leverage.

Dish is really barking up the wrong tree by taking on Viacom. What Viacom is doing was made 100% legal by the government. If Charlie really wanted to put an end to it, he should concentrate on the law concerning this first, and THEN fight Viacom. He would have a better chance at success.

With that said - if Viacom was not using CBS as leverage, these Viacom cable stations would be gone forever and Charlie would not lose any sleep over it. He thinks that most of them are obscure and worthless, even though he has promoted them heavily in the past.

I am also rather tired of Charlie using the 9/11 argument that we need CBS for your health and safety. Its a BIG stretch.

/Benjamin

I highly doubt its in anyones best interests to have the US government further regulating this industry. They've messed it up enough.

It's time for the market to decide what's going to happen. Will large companies continue to get larger and push others around or will the market demand that large companies listen to them and stop raking them over the coals.

Costs for things like cable, satellite, and even fuel increase simply because we, the consumers are willing to pay for it. Sure, echostar could have passed on the extra fees to the subscribers. But why should they? Why should they keep feeding the PIG? I guess their subscriber base will help them answer those questions. If you feel they should have been feeding the pig, e-mail them and call them to let them know that you support higher prices for the subscribers. If you feel it's time to take a stand, e-mail and call them to let them know they're doing the right thing.

Way to go Charlie! Give 'em the BOOT! Sianara SUCKA'z!!!! Dish still has the best channel and hardware line-up available. Bar none! Nuff said....

OMG are you serious man? Show me a dual-tuner DVR with DirecTV. Also, show me a DirectTV HD receiver that won't cost you a mortage payment. And although the 921 has its problems. NO OTHER COMPANY OFFERS A COMPARABLE PRODUCT. Did I miss anything?

ocaddict said:
OMG are you serious man? Show me a dual-tuner DVR with DirecTV. Also, show me a DirectTV HD receiver that won't cost you a mortage payment. And although the 921 has its problems. NO OTHER COMPANY OFFERS A COMPARABLE PRODUCT. Did I miss anything?

1. Every DirecTivo is a dual tuner unit.

2. You can buy the Hughes HD receiver for $399 (way less than most mortage payments).

3. As it now stands, you can't buy a new 921 anywhere for any amount of $$$. By the end of this month, you'll be able to buy the HD DirecTivo for $999 (and it will likely be more "bug free" than the 921).

1. Tivo costs over DOUBLE what Dish charges for similar DVR capability. (although ya got me on the TIVO, didn't realize it was dual tuner. I still refuse to pay $12.95 a month).

2. As a new HD customer. DirectTV isn't even in the same price universe as Dish.

3. Yes, the TIVO unit will be out soon and will still cost over double what Dish's DVR offerings are. Atleast Dish had the gumption to push out an innovative product to the market well before anyone else conceived of it. Still worlds ahead of the competition.

ocaddict said:
1. Tivo costs over DOUBLE what Dish charges for similar DVR capability. (although ya got me on the TIVO, didn't realize it was dual tuner. I still refuse to pay $12.95 a month).

2. As a new HD customer. DirectTV isn't even in the same price universe as Dish.

3. Yes, the TIVO unit will be out soon and will still cost over double what Dish's DVR offerings are. Atleast Dish had the gumption to push out an innovative product to the market well before anyone else conceived of it. Still worlds ahead of the competition.

1.) The stand-alone Tivo has this monthly fee. The Directivo is the SAME fee as the DISH DVRs. Get your facts straight.

2.) I have heard that Directv now has a $99 HDTV receiver deal

3.) I would imagine the same 4.99 fee as the SD directivo.

You have to ask yourself how much you would pay for the Viacom channels. From there that should determine how much you think you should get credit on your bill. But that is an opinion which will vary. It depends on how much the Viacom channels are worth to you.

I'm praying Charlie doesn't cave. If he caves, every TV station is going to continue this extortion nonsense.

I had DirecTV, I'm way happier with DN. $99 HDTV receiver? Little good it does without a HDTV. DirecTV can't touch the DN $999 bundle, which I am currently enjoying.

:D

bloomingtong said:
What bothers me is the fact that Dish has made the decision to penalize its own subscribers in order to prove a point in its negotiations with Viacom. Dish could have very easily left the decision to pay more monthly for the Viacom programming with their subscribers.
G

Dish is doing what most subscribers want. See this poll.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=9052

Neutron said:
1.)Get your facts straight.

GET YOU'RE facts straight. Directv's HD deal is 399$ You must have been thinking about the DishNetwork HD deal which IS 99$ That's what my 811 HD receiver cost me. I'm sure DTV will come down eventually, but they haven't yet. Regardless, to each his own. Whatever service makes you happy is the one you should go with. After 3 failed attempts with Directv I went with Dish and have had outstanding service with them.

AppliedAggression said:
Well, wish i offered this advice earlier, but we all knew this was coming. If you have kids who can't live without Nick, then it would have been useful to record a bunch of their shows ahead of time.

Take this time to show your kids different things.

Yeah, like a book! ;)

I recently recorded several episodes of "MythBusters". The last couple of nights all of us (two boys ages five and nine plus my wife) sat around watching that. Those guys are hilarious!

dlsnyder said:
Yeah, like a book! ;)

I recently recorded several episodes of "MythBusters". The last couple of nights all of us (two boys ages five and nine plus my wife) sat around watching that. Those guys are hilarious!

Discovery Channel ROCKS!

ocaddict said:
Neutron said:
1.)Get your facts straight.

GET YOU'RE facts straight. Directv's HD deal is 399$ You must have been thinking about the DishNetwork HD deal which IS 99$ That's what my 811 HD receiver cost me. I'm sure DTV will come down eventually, but they haven't yet. Regardless, to each his own. Whatever service makes you happy is the one you should go with. After 3 failed attempts with Directv I went with Dish and have had outstanding service with them.

DirecTV offers HD receivers for $99 to existing customers of over 2 years of $40/month or more, or $199 for customers with lesser service. They need to call a special "retention" phone number.

Oh...and the DirecTivo HD will be priced the same as the 921, maybe even $100 less. The monthly DVR fee is the same, as well. Chances are it will work, too, which is nice.

Those are the facts.

My 811 was FREE. Excellent price. Really. But, I got what I paid for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts