Adelphia Firewire Update - SA8300HD DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
I received this lawyerly letter from Adelphia in reply to my filing a complaint with the FCC. Without rehashing the past (you can read previous post and thread if you wish), here are the highlights:

1. What Adelphia's lawyer fails to mention is that the local Adelphia Plant Manager read Section 76.640 of the CFR and agreed that Adelphia was not in compliance with the law. He further agreed to provide me with a "Firewire Enabled" SA8300HD DVR as-soon-as-possible. I have voice mail recorded at my office as well as verbal commitment given to a member of the local franchise authority. (the FCC will have these items shortly) Adelphia, like all cable providers, has been skirting this issue since the CFR does not specifically state "HD DVR".

2. Adelphia's attorney blatantly lied when he stated, "Moreover, it is Scientific-Atlanta that has not provided the necessary software to active these ports and any attempt by Adelphia to do so would violate our license with them." This is a complete fabrication of facts! In mid-April, I spoke directly to a SA Cable Support Engineer and, in confidence, she told me the firmware has been fully tested and available to all Cable MSOs since February...however, because of their contract with the Cable MSOs, she is not supposed to reveal this fact. (could get fired)

3. Adelphia stated to the FCC that, "rest assured that, in accordance with Section 76.640, Adelphia will be offering HD-DVR boxes with the capabilities desired by XXXXXX after July 1, 2005." Hmmm. Again, since the CFR mentioned nothing about HD DVRs, in order to arrive at this epiphany you must first conclude that firewire enabled ports must be offered on similar devices with similar features (i.e. HD DVR) back on April 1, 2004 - clearly that was the intent of this law.

Now that it is 4 July 2005, will Adelphia 'magically' be provided with firmware and drivers to enabled the dual firewire ports on the SA8300HD DVR? Notice how cleverly Adelphia crafted the words, "after July 1, 2005." July 1, 2006 is after...so is July 1, 2007...as is July 1, 2009...etc.

I am currently with Dish/VOOM HD Pak and have a 942 HD DVR - couldn't be happier!!! However, I would love to test the waters and see if Adelphia will provider someone, anyone, with a firewire enabled SA8300HD DVR.

Any takers?

Attachments

• Adellphia Ltr 6 June 2005.JPG
    Adellphia Ltr 6 June 2005.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 246
My friend wants a SA8300HD DVR with firewire but has been getting the run-a-round from Adelphia the past few weeks. According to my friend, " They say they offer it in the form of the SA 3250. They will offer it on additional boxes "soon"." As you know, as of 1 July 2005, by law Adelphia is required to have firewire enabled ports on all of their set-to-boxes. In addition, Adelphia clearly stated, "rest assured that, in accordance with Section 76.640, Adelphia will be offering HD-DVR boxes with the capabilities desired by XXXXXXXXXX after July 1, 2005" in their letter to the FCC, dated 6 June 2005 (see attachment).

I am encouraging my friend to file a complaint regarding this issue; I intend to take the same course of action if this matter cannot be resolved by close of business today.

Sorry dude but Adelphia is correct. All the section requires adelphia to do is supply a firewire box. It does not have to be an HD-DVR or anything else, just have firewire

BFG, that was from 1 April 2004 to 30 June 2005. As of 1 July 2005, the Federal Code of Regulations, 76.640, clearly states that all STB must had Firewire enabled ports - this is without question. Also, read the letter from Adelphia (last paragraph) in which they state, "rest assured that, in accordance with Section 76.640, Adelphia will be offering HD-DVR boxes with the capabilities desired by XXXXXX after July 1, 2005."

Again, there is no question that ALL cable providers MUST provide their customers with firewire enabled HD DVRs upon request. I have a meeting with an individual at the FCC on Monday. Sometimes it pays having a client site in the District.

Anyway, please read the CFR and all supporting documentation...you will see that I am correct. BTW, I turned this matter over to my family attorney this morning...sometimes this is the way to get things done...and I have another meeting later this week with the local franchise authority to discuss possible sanctions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)