Adios VOOM...one more installation f**k story

Digitude

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
Had Voom installed last Friday. I have lots of open sky to the south so the satellite signal was real strong. All of my digital OTA stations are UHF and come from the same general WSW direction. The installer mounted the Stealth antenna right next to the dish and pointed it directly into my my bathroom window! :confused: After powering up for the initial software download the installer decided it was taking too long so he departed before the system ever booted up. He wanted me to sign the installation acceptance and subscriber agreement but I refused since my plasma screen was still dark. Twenty minutes after he left the system came online. All the satellite channels were good but only one of the eight OTA stations came up. :( My "boss" :rolleyes: started to squawk so I basically unplugged the VOOM box and reconnected my Cox HD cable box. The following Monday I called VOOM and explained that my installation was never completed and the system was not operating as advertised. They offered me a return visit one week later on Saturday and I reluctantly accepted. I called yesterday to confirm the appointment and everything was rosey. Today I get home and there is a message from Installs Inc/Datalink notifying me that my service visit tomorrow was cancelled and for me to call to reschedule. Rather than call Installs Inc I called VOOM to complain. The VOOM rep seemed incredulous that I unplugged their satellite box with ANIMANIA and AUCTION HD in favor of CSI and Law and Order on cable. I digress. He offered me a appointment on Tuesday. I informed VOOM that I would not take another vacation day from work and that their next scheduled visit should be to come collect all of their crap. The VOOM rep indicated that I would need to be home for a "disconnection service" anyway. I then advised him that Installs Inc had better schedule their visit at 8 AM sharp because, since I hadn't signed for or accepted any of their property, they would find their receiver on my front porch and that I wouldn't try to predict what the weather would be. :smug

I feel a little sorry for the early VOOMers who paid for their equipment. I'm not convinced this company will be around too long from my experience and the multitudes of similar stories I've read about here.

sorry to hear this, do you realize it is not Voom but the -what seems to be lousy degree of satellite installers who care about the $$ and amount of installs in a day then doing one right..they do not seem to be brain surgeons,anyway if the "buck stops here" i guess it is VOOM,if you want to try again please email Jharkins@installs.com and tell him all this .he will definitely make good.But the call is yours

Satellite works like it's supposed to correct?

So your annoyance is just the OTA? Did you try to re-point the antenna? Can it be that difficult?

Antennas are cheap. Take some initiative and do it right yourself if you find the V* Sat service compelling enough to keep.

I'm beginning to think V* should have taken the same direction as D* and E* and let the owner handle their OTA antenna installation. OTA reception just has to many variables to try and offer a one-stop solution to every customer with one specific antenna. It's just never going to happen.

Mr. Biggles said:
So your annoyance is just the OTA? .
I guess my post must have gotten too wordy. In case it wasn't obvious....my annoyance is with the installation, the installer and the non responsive corporation. The installer walked out before I even had video for Christ sake. And had the nerve to ask for my signature! Complaining to VOOM is a lot like going to the dermatologist. You never get well....you only get another appointment.

I do understand your frustration here, but it sounds like VOOM is doing what it should be doing in trying to get someone back out to your house. Exactly what else would you have them do, take disciplinary action against someone who is not their employee? Have you even tried adjusting you OTA. Not to be rude, but I would not let a crappy installation ruing my new service when I could simply step outside and attempt a simple fix myself.

Trill said:
I do understand your frustration here, but it sounds like VOOM is doing what it should be doing in trying to get someone back out to your house. Exactly what else would you have them do, take disciplinary action against someone who is not their employee? Have you even tried adjusting you OTA. Not to be rude, but I would not let a crappy installation ruing my new service when I could simply step outside and attempt a simple fix myself.
No Digi-let the horrible picture quality and widespread pixelation be your reasons-they are about to be mine for dropping this technical dificulties plagued start-up.

eschu97611 said:
No Digi-let the horrible picture quality and widespread pixelation be your reasons-they are about to be mine for dropping this technical dificulties plagued start-up.
Actually this is another reason my wife wants to ditch Voom. And add to that the blast of audio static on satellite channels I get on cloudy days.

And yes to Mr Biggles. I did try to adjust the antenna without success (cheap piece of crap). And yes I could install a better one and do a much better job. But why bother? I already subscribe to an incompetant cable company. Why antagonize myself?

Digitude said:
I did try to adjust the antenna without success (cheap piece of crap). And yes I could install a better one and do a much better job. But why bother?

I'm not sure I would call it a 'piece of crap', but for V* to think it's OK to use as a universal antenna for all applications as a standard is a huge mistake. It actually was the first antenna I used with D* and it failed miserably for me despite meeting the specs for my location (reception distance).

I only bothered to install a different antenna since I want/need my local HD OTA since we refuse to subscribe to Adelphia and no Sat provider offers local HD OTA.

Digitude said:
And yes to Mr Biggles. I did try to adjust the antenna without success (cheap piece of crap). And yes I could install a better one and do a much better job. But why bother? I already subscribe to an incompetant cable company. Why antagonize myself?

"Why bother?" Because you signed up for Voom in the first place, didn't you? Did Voom force you to try their system? I don't think so, you wanted it. I hope that you did your homework reading about the pros and cons of the system, the hardware, and the programming choices.

Mr. Biggles said:
I'm not sure I would call it a 'piece of crap', .
Oh. Actually it is a PLASTIC piece of crap made in China. While adjusting it I heard something snap and noticed the connector was loose. I removed the bottom cover to see that the co-ax feed thru was only secured with a solder joint on the circuit board. No screws or nuts....just a crappy little solder joint that also makes the shield ground. PIECE O' CRAP! :no

Generally the installer will do exactly what you tell him to do. Mine did and it was datalink. Ive found them very compentent. If your antenna ends up mounted somewhere you do not approve of you cant blame voom, you have no one but yourself to blame. The installers usually bring a directional antenna as well. SO why did you sign before you were satisfied? I have a car id like to sell you, how bout sending me a check now and ill let you see it later? whats your address I want to mail you a pacifier.

I dont know about the rest of you voomers but all this voom sucks because I let the installer screw me is getting old.

andrzej said:
"Why bother?" Because you signed up for Voom in the first place, didn't you?
Read my original post. I never signed for anything. In the contract world one's signature expresses one's approval and acceptance of an agreement. Voom and I never got to the agreement stage. They agreed to give me a half ass installation. I agreed not to take it.

Digitude said:
Oh. Actually it is a PLASTIC piece of crap made in China.

Pray tell what isn't these days? For a $35 antenna what did you expect?

Have you ever held a Siver Sensor in your hand? Total plastic fantastic...but guess what? It works. The Stealth is miles ahead of the SS in build quality. Mine (before replacement) survived a typical Buffalo NY winter with winds, extreme cold etc.

Bear with it D. Educate yourself and try to "help" them (and you) along. Granted, some of the installers out there are a challenge to say the least. But this is a fledgeling service and we all need to give it a chance. We all agree they've got some things to learn (ok, maybe a lot). But when it's rocking, it's rocking. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. And most of us believe it can only improve if we just have patience. Hang in there.....go with the flow. Take pride in the fact you're one of the first to be on this cutting edge technology.

SO it wasnt the installers fault but a faulty antenna? That you approved by signing off on it before you watched TV. thats a smart move dude.

I would suggest we just ignore him. He's a flamer who felt compelled to start the same thread on AVS. I'm not sure of the purpose, but I can guess. He's upset because the installer pointed the antenna at his bathroom window? Please.

t77054 said:
Hang in there.....go with the flow.

Don't think that will happen with Digi. We all have levels of patience, but his threshold is apparently lower than most.

It's understandable that his installer left a bitter taste in his mouth about the whole thing, but it would be nice to see him move beyond that now and go ahead and see if the service is something worth giving a chance instead of throwing-in the towel over some installers incompetence and poor attitude.

Seems like quite a few people are missing this statement:

...the installer decided it was taking too long so he departed before the system ever booted up. He wanted me to sign the installation acceptance and subscriber agreement but I refused since my plasma screen was still dark.

t77054 said:
Bear with it D. Educate yourself and try to "help" them (and you) along. .
You're too kind. I'm not feeling it brother. The only thing good I can say about Voom is their risk free offer. If I had paid anything up front I would be livid. I'm good with being only disgruntled for free. I'm sure they've banged my Visa though for the first month. Now I'll have another hassle to deal with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)