Adjusting data speed on Netflix

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

andy_horton

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Northwest Georgia
Yesterday I went in my account on Netflix on my tablet and adjusted the data speed to a slower rate so it doesn't use as much data. Will that also adjust my Roku as well?? I can't find a place in settings on Netflix on my Roku to adjust the speed. I called Netflix and they said it would adjust on all devices but after watching Netflix today it looks as "HD" as it ever did. Not like Sling TV where you can tell there has been an adjustment made. Thanks, Andy

If you did it at the account level, it seems reasonable to assume that it would impact all devices under that profile.

I suspect that is why Netflix allows for multiple profiles. Perhaps you can create one for mobile use and one for home use and achieve your goal.

Because a speed change can take up to eight hours, you might want to wait until it has been effected before you decide to switch long-term.

You don't say what you changed it to. In my experience, Netflix does a real good job of streaming good quality even at lower speeds. We used to have 6 Mb/s DSL and Netflix looked just fine. On a rare occasion, it would dip down slow and the picture quality would deteriorate for a few seconds and then return to good quality.

Also, realize that some shows/films can have pretty low bandwidth requirements and still look okay or still look good.

What speed is your internet ? I guess that doesn't matter now that I look at the choices Netflix gives. I wasn't sure if they made the choices relative to your usable speed or not. They don't - they use a Gb/hour value.

You don't say what you changed it to. In my experience, Netflix does a real good job of streaming good quality even at lower speeds. We used to have 6 Mb/s DSL and Netflix looked just fine. On a rare occasion, it would dip down slow and the picture quality would deteriorate for a few seconds and then return to good quality.

Also, realize that some shows/films can have pretty low bandwidth requirements and still look okay or still look good.

What speed is your internet ? I guess that doesn't matter now that I look at the choices Netflix gives. I wasn't sure if they made the choices relative to your usable speed or not. They don't - they use a Gb/hour value.
I have 25mbps down. Trying to save on bandwidth towards data cap as I use A LOT of Sling tv. I set the quality to medium I think.