Ads causing problems logging in?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bongu

FTA addict - suffering withdrawal since moving
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
Fort Worth 'burbs
Today is the first time as a Pub Member that I had to activate AdBlock Plus just to get logged on to the forums. I don't mind generating some ad revenue for the site, but this is a real problem if you are relying on this revenue. People like me just turn ads off if they gets too intrusive. I am not going to try to pin down the problematic ad as I consider this to be a site problem.

System details:
Win 7 64 ultimate
FF 27.0.1
AdBlock Plus 2.5.1

With no details its hard to track down, so I am not going to bother to.

But did try it on a bunch of systems and browsers with no issues.

I will say the last few versions of Firefox have been very buggy. I would consider that to be the issue over the Google Ads which are run on millions of sites.

We monitor the number of folks using ad blockers and from time to time prevent people from reading posts until they turn their ad blockers off. If it scares them away then its bandwidth I am not paying for. :D It sucks to have to do that but we have to pay the bills. No pay the bills no SatelliteGuys. :)

When at work from time to time the ads prevent me from getting the page loaded correctly to sign in however we have old EI browsers.

I certainly agree FF has been disappointing lately. I hope they firm it up.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I tried coming in with IE without being logged in, and did not encounter any issues. Perhaps it was a rogue ad targeting you that caused the problem.

I'm not having problems logging in, but I am having page loading issues with my iPhone. It gets stuck loading and I have to refresh.

S~

Both Safari and Chrome have issues loading the site on my iPhone, so I stick to the SatelliteGuys app. I tried on IE, and noticed that the ad in the top right almost covered the "remember me" check box.

No problems logging in but on iPad continually get Asian dating ads. Not once have I ever visited any site like that to generate an ad like this.

I think if you click on the white ad choices thing in the corner of ads you can block ads like the dating ones. :)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I turned off the ad blocker for this site and things seem normal again. I am just glad the site didn't get haxored.

I turned off the ad blocker for this site and things seem normal again. I am just glad the site didn't get haxored.

Me too. :)

The site is constantly scanned by a few different companies, and when something bad does get through which has happened before, we get flagged and you would know about it.

We have actually dropped our most profitable ad agencies as they kept sending us bad ads and kept getting us flagged. I can't have that. This needs to be a safe place.

This week I noticed on our homepage one ad agency was sending us ads with sounds that automatically played. I hate that. Guess what ad agency is no longer on the home page. In fact all the ads are the homepage are now Google Adsense ads. :)

We dont want to scare people away with ads especially bad ads. The ads are there for one reason to pay the bills so everyone can access the site. :)

I wonder how many ad agencies end up driving their customers to Google by not policing their ads, and then complain about Google being a monopoly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)