TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
IMG_1230.JPG
OK I give up! This is the worst part about owning an Android phone. How do I stop these?

I've been following the suggestions on YT videos and they got rid of some popups but I still have them on the Home screen everytime I turn the phone on.

Why doesn't anyone complain about this? Am I doing something wrong that I get these ads?

I already went to Google settings in the Ads and tried the toggle off and on and all that seems to do is match the ads to who they think I am or just random ads for anyone. They do not get shut off.

HELP!

Hmmm, I've used Android for years and the only time I have gotten anything like that, was from downloading a crappy app. I get rid of the app real quick!

Reactions: HIFI and TheKrell
Delete the data..and clear the cache on chrome..You have to dig into the settings menu and find applications..You can do out from there

Been using Android since Eclair 2.1, and never seen ads randomly pop up or appear on the home screen. Only pop ups I've seen were from specific apps that initiate a full screen ad as soon as you launch that specific app. As soon as I see that, the app gets removed.

I would have to say something that either came pre-loaded with the phone, or that you installed is generating the pop ups. I would uninstall every app you can, and clear the data for the apps you can't. Or just back up your stuff and factory reset the phone and start over fresh.

Thanks guys. I'm glad it must be something I did rather than a flaw in Android. Took your advice and force stop and uninstalled everything that I don't need or is stated that is installed with the device, like Google. I only really use this as a display for my 4K 360VR video, so You Tube and Facebook is a must app.

One I could not get rid of is an App called "What's New" This one is loaded with game ads but only when I open the app. I can live with that.

Seems to be working again and while I uninstalled several apps, I think the culprit was a News app that was supposed to pop up bubbles of news items. When I removed that one and powered down then back up my phone opened with no ads. :thumbup

Reactions: Foxbat and TheKrell
Hmmm, I've used Android for years and the only time I have gotten anything like that, was from downloading a crappy app. I get rid of the app real quick!

Yup. My wife's Nexus 6 started doing that and she found the offending app, removed it, and voila.
Been using Android since Eclair 2.1, and never seen ads randomly pop up or appear on the home screen.

Same here, but I go back to Android 1.5 which IIRC was the first release to the general public. Sometimes you aren't paying attention as to when this started happening, as my daughter didn't. She ended up doing the factory reset and that took out the nefarious app.

Reactions: dishdude
Well I discovered 99% of the ad popups are gone. I eliminated all non OS aps except for You Tube which I need, and the remaining I set to Block notifications in the settings. However, while I no longer get the popup ads while using the phone, they still popup when I plug in the charger. It is accompanied by a "swipe>> to dismiss" which I do and then gone until I plug in the charger again. This is before I enter the security code or my finger print to unlock.

If the News app you deleted fixed it sounds like you found it. As a general rule First guess based on when it appears (before unlocking) it is from an anti virus app. Avast is known to do that.
Second guess any app in the GO App family. Third guess ES File Explorer. It is often a feature that can be turned off inside the offending app. For ES File Explorer it's the Battery Boost feature. For Go Z Launch it's also a speed booster/battery option.

Thanks, I'll look into your suggestions. For now the ads only pop up when I plug in the charger. Otherwise all are gone.

On another note- I am still fascinated at how well the Apple Airpods work with the Sony Android phone. Even better is that the control feature like double tap on the right ear pod can pause and play YT videos. However, the air pods also have a volume control feature with the air pods and that does not work with the Sony phone.

I see there is another Sony update and In need to do that soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts