Status
Please reply by conversation.

silversurfer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Las Vegas, Nevada
The satellite TV service will launch a weekend block of high-def adult movies following the Super Bowl, TVPredictions.com has learned.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (Jan. 27) -- Not sure how to end your Super Bowl soiree this Sunday night? Well, DIRECTV may have an interesting party idea for owners of High-Definition TVs.

Shortly after the game, the satellite TV service will kick off its first offering of adult movies in HDTV, TVPredictions.com has learned. The films, which will come from Playboy and the Spice channel, will be available on DIRECTV's Pay-Per-View channel from midnight to 6 a.m. ET.

Following Super Bowl Sunday, DIRECTV's adult HDTV lineup will air every Thursday through Sunday from midnight to 6 a.m. ET. Robert Mercer, a DIRECTV spokesman, said the adult fare will be sold in three hour blocks for $14.99 per block.

This could be the first launch of adult HDTV in the United States. Cablevision's VOOM satellite TV service has announced that it will carry the Spice HD channel, but has yet to reveal a launch date.

Many industry experts have speculated that HDTV could be a new revenue driver for the adult industry. The format's incredible picture is so life-like that it's been compared to looking through a window, which could heighten the sensation of watching an adult film.

For the entire article click here.

I love this quote!

However, Playboy TV president Jim English sounded a note of caution last summer when asked if adult films would fare well on HDTV.

"A lot of the girls are not that pretty. You can only do so much with hair and make-up," English said in an interview with TVPredictions.com. "HDTV is perfect for National Geographic and the National Football League where you don't expect people to be pretty. But adult films are all about the close-up. With surgeries and implants, I don't know if you want to see everything in HDTV."
:shocked

Wouldn't they be better off using the bandwidth for Starz And/or Cinemax. I'm all for more Por... Uh, adult programming, but, really don't see the need for HD.

Oh, Wait - PPV -> $$$ (I bet they're not paying anything upfront).

Adult programming brings in some nice revenues for the satellite companies. I would expect Dish Network to follow through with an Adult HD channel as well. I wonder if they are going to have one for a monthly charge instead of PPV.

They will probably end up filming differently than they do now if some of the Adult stars are not so pretty on HD cameras. They may also get a bit pickier with who they choose to be in the movies which means they would have to be younger or better looking so it couldnt be that much worse after all.

"The format's incredible picture is so life-like that it's been compared to looking through a window..."

LOL!!! Ain't technological breakthroughs wunnerful! Pay $14.99 to avoid getting nabbed on a voyeurism charge looking at the neighbor's wife through a window.

Why should they charge a premium for what may appear to be not so good looking actors? Hopefully they will have it available monthly as well.

Ray H said:
"The format's incredible picture is so life-like that it's been compared to looking through a window..."

LOL!!! Ain't technological breakthroughs wunnerful! Pay $14.99 to avoid getting nabbed on a voyeurism charge looking at the neighbor's wife through a window.
Some of them might require rose colored glasses :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)