Adventures in Satellite Hunting.....30°W

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I had a temporary 90 cm offset set up in Fergus Falls, MN at an apartment that I was at.....
several hundred miles south of you, with an elevation of 7.5 degrees.
The trick in making it work was to turn the antenna upside down, so that you reduced the amount of noise pickup from the horizon, as well as clear the bottom of the antenna above the ground.

If you are not using a simple in-line tuning meter, I suggest putting one in the circuit between your receiver and LNBF.
Find a satellite in the center of the arc (95 or 97 West would be good places to start). Twist the LNBF so that it is in the zero skew offset position. Find the calculated elevation angles for various satellites (97, 95, 89, 72, 58, 30). Use your satellite receiver's blind scan feature and turn it on after you encounter a strong signal with the in line meter. Use a set of channel charts such as those found on the www.global-cm.net website. Once you find something, use your angle finder to confirm an elevation setting, and add or subtract angles as you go east towards 30 West. Rotate the LNBF as you move east. Looking at the front of the dish, the 6:00 position should be rotated to about 7:30 (45 degrees clockwise) to get Hispasat.

Rather than lose your mind about determining proper angles for elevation when turning the dish upside down, start by setting the dish for 45 degrees true (halfway between vertical and horizontal). Shift the antenna upwards another ten degrees or so, and pan the center of the arc while listening to the in line meter's beeping sound. You'll find something, and once you do, all should fall in place. I also recommend the Cuban transponder as one of the strongest on the vertical side of 30 West.

Good luck!
Excellent advice!

Nailed 30.0°W today! The Storm brought down the offending tree branch that was blocking my signal.................:whoo:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)