Advice for a Verizon qwerty feature phone

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
My kid is using a el-cheapo samsung phone, and needs to get a phone with a better keyboard for texting. No data plan, just looking for something with a slide-out keyboard that would work for him. On Verizon's website they have two current phones that fit the bill: the Samsung intensity, and the Pantech Jest. The intensity has a slide-out full keyboard. Basically I want a text-centric phone.

He does not quality for an upgrade until November, so I am planning on getting something on ebay used or new. The intensity is $125 new on ebay; the jest is more like $180. I would prefer to go cheap.

I am sure there are other CDMA phones he could activate on Verizon.

Ok, phone boys, any suggestions? And heck, if somebody has a phone that fits the bill and aren't using it anymore, PM me if you want to sell it. :)

rockymtnhigh said:
My kid is using a el-cheapo samsung phone, and needs to get a phone with a better keyboard for texting. No data plan, just looking for something with a slide-out keyboard that would work for him. On Verizon's website they have two current phones that fit the bill: the Samsung intensity, and the Pantech Jest. The intensity has a slide-out full keyboard. Basically I want a text-centric phone.

He does not quality for an upgrade until November, so I am planning on getting something on ebay used or new. The intensity is $125 new on ebay; the jest is more like $180. I would prefer to go cheap.

I am sure there are other CDMA phones he could activate on Verizon.

Ok, phone boys, any suggestions? And heck, if somebody has a phone that fits the bill and aren't using it anymore, PM me if you want to sell it. :)

I do not like the Pantech phones. The Intensity is a nice phone for texting. I played with it trying to help my mom find a phone. She want my Droid but o said I am not permanent text support.

What about an older phone like one of the Env's or the original Alias? Those are cheap.

I do not like the Pantech phones. The Intensity is a nice phone for texting. I played with it trying to help my mom find a phone. She want my Droid but o said I am not permanent text support.

What about an older phone like one of the Env's or the original Alias? Those are cheap.

That's what I am really looking for - advice on older phones that are like the intensity, so I can get one for cheap. I just don't know that segment of the market AT ALL.

My wife has the LG env3 and says it's "perfect". front is oldstyle keypad for phone dialing. open up clam shell design and you get a second screen with qwerty KB, web surfing etc. The camera operates with the phone closed so it is designed for use mainly as a texting, phone, camera. Takes a micro SD card for large picture and video storage. Uses microUSB for charging. When I examined it, I wasn't impressed with the web browser but she rarely uses that feature. We added it to our family plan for $9.95 a month for data. I don't have texting so I don't know what that would cost extra.

My wife has the LG env3 and says it's "perfect". front is oldstyle keypad for phone dialing. open up clam shell design and you get a second screen with qwerty KB, web surfing etc. The camera operates with the phone closed so it is designed for use mainly as a texting, phone, camera. Takes a micro SD card for large picture and video storage. Uses microUSB for charging. When I examined it, I wasn't impressed with the web browser but she rarely uses that feature. We added it to our family plan for $9.95 a month for data. I don't have texting so I don't know what that would cost extra.

Thanks Don. This is the type of advice I was looking for. We have the unlimited friends and family talk and text, and he will NOT be permitted web usage, so I am looking just for phone and texting. I'll check it out.

VX 9800 is a good phone for what your looking for. The voyager is a nice too all my kids use the voyager or the 9800 no data required.

Looking at the env2, but uncertain whether they force a $9.99 data plan. I suspect I could get out of it; my wife's treo 700 "requires" one, and they waived it when I switched to a F&F 1400 plan; since we did not have it on the phone before.

rockymtnhigh said:
Looking at the env2, but uncertain whether they force a $9.99 data plan. I suspect I could get out of it; my wife's treo 700 "requires" one, and they waived it when I switched to a F&F 1400 plan; since we did not have it on the phone before.

Env2 does not my daughter has one

Well, I got the Ev2, and activated it. No data plan required - available, but not required. I blocked mobile web so he does not mess around with it.

but geez, 3 lines on a friends and family 1400 minute talk and text plan, with just one data plan, costs $195. Unbelievable. We might drop back to 700 minutes and forgo the friends and family part.

Well, I got the Ev2, and activated it. No data plan required - available, but not required. I blocked mobile web so he does not mess around with it.

but geez, 3 lines on a friends and family 1400 minute talk and text plan, with just one data plan, costs $195. Unbelievable. We might drop back to 700 minutes and forgo the friends and family part.

That does not sound right.

That does not sound right.

$110 for main line (1400 min/talk+unlimited text), $10 for second, $10 for third, $30 for Droid data plan, $5 for family controls for one phone; $5 insurance for Droid = $170, plus $20+ tax.

Probably going to drop back to 700 minute plan. This price is insane. F&F is nice, but we rarely go over 700 minutes, and now that the kid has unlimited text, he rarely uses minutes, just texts.

$110 for main line (1400 min/talk+unlimited text), $10 for second, $10 for third, $30 for Droid data plan, $5 for family controls for one phone; $5 insurance for Droid = $170, plus $20+ tax.

Probably going to drop back to 700 minute plan. This price is insane. F&F is nice, but we rarely go over 700 minutes, and now that the kid has unlimited text, he rarely uses minutes, just texts.
I'll trade ya bills as we have three droids goin on one plan. :eek:

This is why I switched to Sprint. I have 5 phones with unlimited data, text, 1500 minutes, navigation and unlimited mobile to mobile any provider (pretty much all features for $185 after taxes (included 15% discount). I could have 5 android devices on my plan and it would still only be $185 per month.

This is why I switched to Sprint. I have 5 phones with unlimited data, text, 1500 minutes, navigation and unlimited mobile to mobile any provider (pretty much all features for $185 after taxes (included 15% discount). I could have 5 android devices on my plan and it would still only be $185 per month.

The problem is I am locked in with VZW for awhile. I like the network, but the pricing is horrible.

The data plan pricing is insane. The fact that you need to have a 1400 minute plan for Friends and Family is bogus too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)