Advice for someone interested in DISH Network (Los Angeles, CA)

ube

Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
I'm sorry to trouble any of you on this forum but I am interested in getting the TurboHD Bronze package from DISH Network and was wondering if anyone could tell me how the service is?

I am in the Los Angeles, CA area.

The reason why I am asking is that I searched for DISH Network reviews on the internet and have found nothing but negative comments about the installation, service, technical support, and customer support.

I would appreciate any feedback or comments you might have. This will help me decide if I should sign a 2-year agreement with them! Thank you in advance!

I signed up and have received TurboHD Gold along with a ViP 722 HD DVR.

First, for installation, I am in Washington so you'll likely get different installers. The installers we had visit and set us up did a great job. They even replaced the connectors inside our home as we'd originally run our Quad RG6 and other lines to the interior of our walls when we had the opportunity a while back. They ensured that all interconnects (wall plates) and cable connectors had the blue insulators that indicated rating for the necessary bandwidth speed. They also carefully dressed up the cables on the outsides and worked hard at locating the dishes in a location that is not seen from the ground.

We used to have D*, so they even carefully examined the mounts and what not and went to the extra effort of using only their gear. The previous mounting was too flimsy. They'd gone above and beyond, because I was fine with them just using what was there. But eliminating service calls due to installation was this installers motto. I even called in and said they need to provide a "job well done" reward for the installer.

So the physicall installation was very good. In addtion, we signed up for service on the 4th and had the install completed on the 10th. Pretty quick in my opinion.

As for the quality of the image, wow, I noticed a difference between it and our D* service that we used through the 9th, so while not comparing at the same time, I noticed a marked improvement. Is this related to the receiver software upgrade I'm readiing about on this forum, who knows but it's great in my opinion.

As for telephone support. Don't know yet. Hopefully we have no problems that require a call. When using the telephone just to check on information, it was pretty easy to navigate and get a "live" rep to assist us.

Thanks for the helpful reply! Did you sign up with DISH Network directly or through a local distributor?

I am in Los Angeles and the installer used everything from my old D* and never checked anything at all. He replaced my old D* dish with a new E* dish but left old pole, used all the old wires. He never bothered to even try hide or fix or put new ties on the lines that D* had run. When he installed my 2 receivers he just unplugged my old D* receiver and used the old cables from my old D* receiver for everything. So I would say he did the minimum about of work he had to do. Yes everything is working but he did not go the extra mile like the other posters installer did.

As for CS. I can tell you right off the bat because I had a problem with my service as I order HD absolute package and my install date was after HD Turbo came out that if you get one of the foreign call center reps forget it they are worthless 100% and could careless if you activate, cancel if they screw you on you programing package etc. Then I got transfered to the retention department which is US based and that CSR was much better and helpful in trying to get me my HD absolute package activated on my account which finally he managed too except only way he was able to do it was by tricking the system which was fine by me as I end up getting the RSN channels too.

Only bad thing about my set up is that I am not grandfathered into Dish Absolute package so any changes I make to my account takes off my current package but that is ok as I plan on making no changes at all till after Feb once HD Turbo package is open to existing customers.

Thanks for the helpful reply! Did you sign up with DISH Network directly or through a local distributor?

If you can find a local Retailer I would go with him. A local retailer has more incentative to make things right. Unlike going through Dish if the local retailer screws up he would hear from you so it is to his best interest to do it right the first time.

Thanks for the replies! I setup an installation appointment with a local retailer this weekend. If anyone is interested in how it turns out, I'll post my experience on this thread. Hopefully I won't have a bad experience. Wish me luck!

Thanks for the replies! I setup an installation appointment with a local retailer this weekend. If anyone is interested in how it turns out, I'll post my experience on this thread. Hopefully I won't have a bad experience. Wish me luck!

The odds are with you the percentage of bad installs is very small, but people are more incline to comment when upset , I have been an E* customer for years gone thru several upgrades and am very satisfied and highly recommend them. Enjoy your new HD, I know I do.

I signed up and have received TurboHD Gold along with a ViP 722 HD DVR.

First, for installation, I am in Washington so you'll likely get different installers. The installers we had visit and set us up did a great job. They even replaced the connectors inside our home as we'd originally run our Quad RG6 and other lines to the interior of our walls when we had the opportunity a while back. They ensured that all interconnects (wall plates) and cable connectors had the blue insulators that indicated rating for the necessary bandwidth speed. They also carefully dressed up the cables on the outsides and worked hard at locating the dishes in a location that is not seen from the ground.

We used to have D*, so they even carefully examined the mounts and what not and went to the extra effort of using only their gear. The previous mounting was too flimsy. They'd gone above and beyond, because I was fine with them just using what was there. But eliminating service calls due to installation was this installers motto. I even called in and said they need to provide a "job well done" reward for the installer.

So the physicall installation was very good. In addtion, we signed up for service on the 4th and had the install completed on the 10th. Pretty quick in my opinion.

As for the quality of the image, wow, I noticed a difference between it and our D* service that we used through the 9th, so while not comparing at the same time, I noticed a marked improvement. Is this related to the receiver software upgrade I'm readiing about on this forum, who knows but it's great in my opinion.

As for telephone support. Don't know yet. Hopefully we have no problems that require a call. When using the telephone just to check on information, it was pretty easy to navigate and get a "live" rep to assist us.

Curious if you are having any trouble with the 129 sat? Did they hook you up with 1 or 2 dishes and what kinds of dishes were used?

The odds are with you the percentage of bad installs is very small, but people are more incline to comment when upset , I have been an E* customer for years gone thru several upgrades and am very satisfied and highly recommend them. Enjoy your new HD, I know I do.

Exactly !!! It's the old saying.........................................
Do a good job and they'll tell 3 friends
Do a bad job and they'll tell 30.

It's really sad today that people are so quick to criticize and yet so slow to praise.

Curious if you are having any trouble with the 129 sat? Did they hook you up with 1 or 2 dishes and what kinds of dishes were used?

I can't believe I forgot to post that information. We have 2 dishes. A Dish 500 with the Dish Pro Plus Twin LNBF and a 24" dish with a single Dish Pro Plus LNBF. There are no switches as the 24" dish connects to the twin.

I was originally hoping for a single dish solution, but apparently the 129 satellite is an older sat and not providing a strong enough signal without the second dish. However, they are positioned to not be visible from the street and the cabling is dressed very well.

A new sat is planned? At that time, a 1000.2 should be sufficient. It would be a dish upgrade for me to switch, so I'll probably just stick with what I have. The second 24" dish should cause the new 129 sat signal to really be strong when this happens.

The two dish method definately works best for picking up 129 regardless of where you are. I am in the Los Angeles area and use two dishes, one for 110/119 and a separate one for 129. I was having some trouble picking up 129 there for awhile, but a realignment of the dish fixed that. Turns out my new roof had settled just enough to knock my dish slightly out of alignment. It's all good now though.

I can't believe I forgot to post that information. We have 2 dishes. A Dish 500 with the Dish Pro Plus Twin LNBF and a 24" dish with a single Dish Pro Plus LNBF. There are no switches as the 24" dish connects to the twin.

I was originally hoping for a single dish solution, but apparently the 129 satellite is an older sat and not providing a strong enough signal without the second dish. However, they are positioned to not be visible from the street and the cabling is dressed very well.

A new sat is planned? At that time, a 1000.2 should be sufficient. It would be a dish upgrade for me to switch, so I'll probably just stick with what I have. The second 24" dish should cause the new 129 sat signal to really be strong when this happens.

Thanks. I migrated from a 1000.2 to a dedicated 500 to a 24 inch and finally bought and installed a 30 inch for 129 on my own. The 24 inch worked "ok" and the 30 worked better but by the time I got to those I was really upset at the need to go to the efforts while paying full freight for a degraded service. (Peaking a good signal for 129 is doable, but every 20 to 30 minutes the signal drops because the hamster gets tired.) So once DTV got D10 up and working I jumped ship figuring the sooner I started the clock on the 24 month contract the better. That was before Dish came out with the HD only package which does look like a good deal.

I'm glad to hear your positive comments on turbo. By the time Dish gets a new sat in place I'll have three strong choices (Dish, DTV and Fios) and my contract will be close to term. I REALLY liked the 622 and I know I'd like the 722 even more. The HR20/21 works well too, but I miss the ways you can personalize your setup with the dish dvr's.

Last edited:
Cheers DishSatUser! (Great av)

To all, I'm a Dish installer in the PacNW, and it's important to have some perspective. No one wants to pay more than the minimum for an install, so over time what's happened is that our pay has been squeezed and squeezed until we are making little more than minimum wage now, after expenses. So many of the quality techs have gone, but there are still some left like at my company, InstallPro. It's just what's happened. Also CS has been outsourced to the Phillipines, and I hear complaints about them all the time, particularly that 'they do not seem to have any brains'.

I worked for Direct before, for several subcontractors, and in my opinion there is something malignant about the culture. I've had Dish TV service for eight years, until recently when I couldn't afford it anymore, but I still think it's great TV. I wish they'd give us an increase to make up for gas which has gone up 50% in the past six months. I drive 150 miles a day and I now consider this only a temporary job. This is not even considering that they should increase pay to meet the cost of living up here and to match the pay of other opportunities we have.

So this is what's at the root of things. I think Dish is aware of these issues, but has made an economic decision that we are still doing better than Direct in these ways. Whether that's true is open to question, but in sum I like Dish much better.

I have great news to report! My DISH Network with TurboHD Bronze package was installed today by Digicom Satellite, a local distributor based in La Verne, CA. Very clean and excellent installation! The technician (Alex) was extremely knowledgeable and went above and beyond to make the installation as clean as possible. And even more amazing is that he took the time to understand how the wiring in my house was setup so that he could make his connections smartly. This is the first installation I've had where the technician did not drill holes into my walls for his convenience! I would recommend these guys in a heartbeat!

Thank you all for your help! This story has a happy ending!

If you can find a local Retailer I would go with him. A local retailer has more incentative to make things right. Unlike going through Dish if the local retailer screws up he would hear from you so it is to his best interest to do it right the first time.

Not in Los Angeles they don't. The local retailer's motive in Los Angeles is to RIP YOU OFF. You have to live here to understand why this is the case (there is ONE local retailer I do trust). Local retailers here are a crap shoot. I know there may be a few more honest ones out there, but it seems that most are not.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)