Advice Needed re Nimiq 6

Ed Goldstein

Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
New York, NY
I've been a loyal Bell customer on Long Island, New York for about a decade using a Canadian contact. I just assumed my deteriorating signal was a result of tree cover and I actually just scheduled an appointment this week to get some trimming done. I *just* read about the new Nimiq 6 footprint that has eliminated much of the United States from the coverage map (I guess Bell didn't really advertise this to its gray market subscribers). So the good news is I guess I don't have to cut any trees but the bad news is far worse - I could lose a programming package that I've really come to value due to its variety, world news channels, time shifting, etc. So here's my question. I just ran through all of my transponders and got zeroes on most of them but signals in the high 40s and low 50s on a few (3, 7, 11, 15, 19, 23, 27, and 31). I'm still able to watch some channels. Would it be worth it to try a larger dish or are those zeroes going to stay no matter what? Are there ANY options? I've really grown attached to Canadian content. Thanks.

I've been a loyal Bell customer on Long Island, New York for about a decade using a Canadian contact. I just assumed my deteriorating signal was a result of tree cover and I actually just scheduled an appointment this week to get some trimming done. I *just* read about the new Nimiq 6 footprint that has eliminated much of the United States from the coverage map (I guess Bell didn't really advertise this to its gray market subscribers). So the good news is I guess I don't have to cut any trees but the bad news is far worse - I could lose a programming package that I've really come to value due to its variety, world news channels, time shifting, etc. So here's my question. I just ran through all of my transponders and got zeroes on most of them but signals in the high 40s and low 50s on a few (3, 7, 11, 15, 19, 23, 27, and 31). I'm still able to watch some channels. Would it be worth it to try a larger dish or are those zeroes going to stay no matter what? Are there ANY options? I've really grown attached to Canadian content. Thanks.

Although this is not NYC, if this happens in Philadelphia, it should be at least as strong farther north.

I searched and found this:

Hi Sparkster and Iceberg; I am in NE Philadelphia...the Winegard 30" which works good on 82 nimiq is only marginal on the nimiq 6-maybe 7 of the 32 tr's lock in...I am going to try to play with it again this coming week-today heavy rain and very hot. I am hoping that the wsi 9036
dish will lock everything in on the 91 deg-any input is always appreciated...

I guess what I need to know is if a transponder shows up with a signal strength of zero, will a bigger dish change that or is that simply going to be zero no matter what? According to the maps I've seen, I'm only around ten miles from the edge of the Nimiq 6 zone.

I guess what I need to know is if a transponder shows up with a signal strength of zero, will a bigger dish change that or is that simply going to be zero no matter what? According to the maps I've seen, I'm only around ten miles from the edge of the Nimiq 6 zone.

The transponders you are currently receiving are among the strongest on Nimiq 6. With a properly aimed standard 18" dish in NYC, you can expect to lock up to half of the transponders at marginal signal strength. The rest are noticeably weaker south of the footprint, but a larger dish will increase your signal to a usable level. Following the launch of Nimiq 6 last year, others in NYC have reported signal strengths of 48-73% with a 30" dish and 67-80% with a 39" dish. For reference, the minimum acceptable signal quality before the picture starts to degrade is around 45%. With a 39" dish, the signal would most certainly be usable in your location across all transponders.

The transponders you are currently receiving are among the strongest on Nimiq 6. With a properly aimed standard 18" dish in NYC, you can expect to lock up to half of the transponders at marginal signal strength. The rest are noticeably weaker south of the footprint, but a larger dish will increase your signal to a usable level. Following the launch of Nimiq 6 last year, others in NYC have reported signal strengths of 48-73% with a 30" dish and 67-80% with a 39" dish. For reference, the minimum acceptable signal quality before the picture starts to degrade is around 45%. With a 39" dish, the signal would most certainly be usable in your location across all transponders.

Thank you - this is extremely encouraging. I will look for a one meter dish and try my luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)