Advice on getting 2nd hopper w/ sling for free ( new customer)

I don't know how the VJ would play into the scheme for the initial setup, but I do know that they do require at the time of installation to select 2 hoppers, there be a Joey.

I don't know how the VJ would play into the scheme for the initial setup, but I do know that they do require at the time of installation to select 2 hoppers, there be a Joey.
I saw on another forum that you can decline the Joey when the installer comes out? Is that still the case or is that incorrect?

Technically yes. It just has to be on the work order for dish to set it up. Whatever you do after the tech gets out there, is between you and the tech. Techs like good surveys, so it tends to go your way.

I haven't come across NEW customers being allowed a 2nd Hopper for Free, and, yes, I do believe Chadt41 is correct in that it may, indeed, require at least one Joey, but maybe they will let him do the Virtual Joey, instead. Now, a current customer who drops a load of cash each month MIGHT be able to get a free 2nd Hopper. The thing is from Dish's point of view, they are not going to spend that much money ACQUIRING a customer (they may do so in RETAINING a customer) because Dish does not know their intentions (ready to bail at the end of the commitment) as opposed to a customer who after some time of loyalty and a big monthly bill has demonstrated they really prefer to stay with Dish and not leave, then Dish may be willing to make exceptions (they did for me, more than once, thankfully--a lot of years of embarrassingly big monthly bills), provided the customer doesn't ask "too much." Charlie has never been willing to spend more on a NEW customer than he MIGHT on an older customer in the form of a some freebies and credits and even a FREE 2nd box of whatever, who has had made him quite a bit of money. Considering how many people continually switch TV providers once the contract is up and play the merry-go-round, it really would be bad business and Dish's stock price would drop due to too high a cost of Customer Inquisition, a figure Wall Street which Wall Street is obsessed. But, the best of luck and hopes to the OP if he can get the 2nd Hopper for free. Do let us know what Dish decides. It would be interesting.

New customer promotions and existing customer promotions are handled differently. All new customers must pay an upfront fee in order to get a second Hopper with Sling. There should be no exceptions made here.

Now, if you are an existing customer you can get multiple receivers for free depending on how you qualify. You generally have to pay the tech visit fee of $15 or $95 but that's it for fees, regardless of how many receivers you are upgrading to within the rules. You would also have to renew a 24 month commitment. In some cases people have been able to get the tech visit waived completely.

I was just looking at my dish order they sent me via email, and I think I can get the Hopper with sling for free, sort of. When I completed my order via chat, no money was due at the time, because the rep gave a $50 "intro savings" and I used a referral code for another $50 instant credit, so I should be able to switch to a 2nd hopper with sling and just owe my 1st month of service (around $63 + tax). It doesn't say anything about the $200 gift card, but I have a copy of the chat that shows it in the terms and conditions and I also called customer service and they said it was on the account.

Here is what my order looks like from the email they sent:

Summary of Your DISH Order (this is not your bill)
Monthly Charges
$91.99
America's Top 200
Hopper Receiver
Super Joey Receiver
Blockbuster@Home
HBO, Max, Sho, Starz
HD Free For 24 Mo (reg $10)
Protection Plan $69.99
$12.00
$10.00
$0.00
$0.00
$0.00
$0.00
Monthly Savings -$30.00
Intro Savings $30x12 Mo -$30.00
Monthly Charges & Savings $61.99
One-Time Charges
$199.00
Leased Receiver $199.00
One-Time Credits -$299.00
Intro Savings
Refer a Friend
Leased Receiver -$50.00
-$50.00
-$199.00
Amount Due Now $0.00
Monthly Charges & Savings
One-Time Charges
One-Time Credits
Taxes $61.99
$199.00
-$299.00
$5.83
Paid $0.00

If you change to the HWS, your credits and charges will definitely change.

From what I read, the 2nd hopper with sling is supposed to be $99? So, if I get that, I should only have to pay my 1st month's service bill plus taxes no?

I just went thru that as a new customer signup. The 1st Hopper with sling was free. The 2nd Hopper was $49 without sling or $99 with sling. That was the best I could get. Several agents told me I could not get 2 hoppers at any price.
I went w/o sling for $49 as I had no need for it on either Hopper much less both. :)

I wanted to updated users following this thread, and let you know I did get the 2nd hopper with sling for free, but only because I had a $50 referral credit and a $50 closing credit applied to my account when I signed up via chat. All I had to pay upfront was 75.98 for the first month of service plus tax. I also had them add the multi sports pack for free thru 12/31/14 (thanks Scherrman!) . It does not reflect the free multi sports pack on my order, nor the free $200 mastercard gift card, but I was assured by customer service that they are on my account (I hope they are right!). I called the 866-688-3274 number that Martinash suggested and they were very friendly. Also of note, they did not require a Joey on my order, at least from what I can tell.

This is from the email they sent me today:

Receiver(s) to be Installed
2 Rcvr Hopper with Sling

Summary of Your DISH Order (this is not your bill)
Monthly Charges
$93.99
America's Top 200
DVR Service
Hopper Receiver
Blockbuster@Home
HBO, Max, Sho, Starz
HD Free For 24 Mo (reg $10)
Protection Plan $69.99
$12.00
$12.00
$0.00