Advice: Should I sign a 2 year contract?

woofer21

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
Worcester
I have a summer home that i go two 4-5 months of the year. I was thinking of getting Dish but they want me to sign a two year agreement. i can't see paying for it when I'm not there watching it. i was wondering if it would be better for me to just buy the equipment outright, then have it installed by someone?

Can you just setup a dish at your summer home and just bring your receiver back and forth. ALso you could just change service address and phone while your there.

signature says

I have a summer home that i go two 4-5 months of the year. I was thinking of getting Dish but they want me to sign a two year agreement. i can't see paying for it when I'm not there watching it. i was wondering if it would be better for me to just buy the equipment outright, then have it installed by someone?

Your signature has 722 & 622 in it do you already have those on your acct? thiggin2 is going in the same direction that I'm thinking of as well.

Sorry i had a typo It is actually for an Aunt And Uncle. They do not have dish but knew i did so were asking me for advice.

There are non commitment offers available. Considering you want to put your account on hold 6-7 months of the year it would be best not to have the commitment.

I'd buy the hardware outright at Radio Shack (or one of the excellent sponsors of this forum) and use a PAYGO system. A $30 per month contract actually costs $720 over the life of the contract, whereas a 621 DVR and a 1000.2 or 1000.4 dish cost about $400 from DishStore.net, and you can pick whatever programming you want as you need it.

Call in and get a free Dishmover. You will get a free dish installed and then you can just take your receivers back and forth and just one bill.

Just buy the equipment and setup a flex tv account. No point in being stuck in a contract when your not going to use the system on a daily basis.

Unless there are people left at home when you go to the vacation house, just take advantage of the vacation house deal that E* offers. As breaker1nine points out, use Dishmover and E* installs a new antenna at the vacation home. If you sign up under DHPP, it's all free. Without DHPP, it may or may not be free, depending. When you go to the vacation home, you just call E* and change the service address to that location. When you go back to your regular home, you change the service address again. You do have to move the receivers back and forth. If you can't move the receivers because you fly or whatever, this obviously won't work. To do all this you just contact E* and tell them you have a second home in which you spend several months a year. Use the "moving" selection in the phone tree.

The best option would be to call in and get a DishMover, and move your receiver back and forth. You could set up service at the summer place and use Dish Pause, but you would have to fulfill your contract before you could put your service on pause. After the contract, you could put your service on pause for up to 6 months at $5 per month. If you use the first option, however, you could have what we call a "snowbird" account. You can just take your receivers and change out your address whenever you go back and forth so you could get the proper local channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts