AEP Price Increase vs. Inflation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

red hazard

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
St Louis Metro East (Illinois)
Inflation Rate (CPI) FEB - FEB AEP Rate Increase
2001 1.58% ----- $70 to $73 yields 4.29%
2002 2.40% ----- $73 to $75 yields 2.73%
2003 about 2% ----- $75 to $78 yields 4.00% (estimate from dbstalk)

Welp, I bet a lot of folks hear the pig contentedly grunting at E* Corporate Hqs. To me though berating cable for rate increases above the cost of inflation sounds like a vulture complaining about bad meat :!:

Or you can think of it as it actually is. The AEP includes all of the channels, which means it includes pieces of all rate increases. Thus if any package is going to see a bigger bump, it's that one.

By all means, it should have the largest bump, but shouldn't they all have the same %?

Apparently, AEP are subsidizing the others (or they have decided to give less discount to AEP).

Hmmm, twice the rate of inflation, I thought they were going about the rate of inflation but inflation is less than what I thought it had been. I was thinking along the lines of 3% a year.

I can see the snorting cable ads now against satellite, but then again they would be tromping on themselves because they do the same thing and perhaps much worse in some cases.

I still don't see how they arrived at three dollars. The other packages change about one cent on 120 and 1.01 on the top 180 so that is 1.02 where does the other 1.98 come from? It looks like to me they are just making up for the so called free dvr fee on the AEP.

I can hear Charlie snorting all the way to the bank...... Seweeeee!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Without locals AT60 goes up $0, AT120 goes up $1, AT180 goes up $2, AEP goes up $3. 0-1-2-3. Basically AEP went up an extra buck over what AT150 went up (without locals).

Maybe they figured that they would raise it an extra $1 this year seeing how they have to raise it anyways so that next year when it comes for the next rate increase they could keep it the same price to make the package look like a better deal. Getting an extra buck this year out of the subs and already being where it may have been next year if they raised it only $2 this year allows them to make an extra $1 this year to prevent it from going up $2 next year. Who knows what the strategy is behind all this. Its cheaper to buy AT150 and the four premium movie packages one year in advance anyways instead of having AEP.

If you figure it up, it is 'almost' the same either way. You save on the PVR fees by going with AEP.

I took AEP and then paid for my HD for the year.

I still think AEP should be 'ALMOST EVERYTHING PACKAGE' :p

David_Levin said:
By all means, it should have the largest bump, but shouldn't they all have the same %?

Apparently, AEP are subsidizing the others (or they have decided to give less discount to AEP).

No they shouldn't all go up the same %.
Different channels charge Dish different amounts. A channel that is in AEP that isn't in a lesser package, might have raised their rates more than other channels did. Dish than passes this cost on to you.

What channel is in AEP that is not in AT180 or the four premium movie packages? The premium movie package prices did not go up.

Why is everyone so upset about a few dollars in increases? I really don't care. I am probably one of the few who have really no complaints about Dish, except they haven't gotten MLB Extra Innings yet. But to take the time to break down increases into minute percentages seems a bit too much time on their hands. Maybe someone can enlighten me with a good reason.

Well the $3 increase is enough for me to probably drop the AEP. I have had the AEP or equivalent ever since I got Dish Network. Right now I have AEP+HDTV+Supers, my bill is now over $100/month.

But, my viewing habits have changed. I now buy tons of DVDs. I no longer really watch any of the movie channels. The allure of HDTV on them is starting to fade since Dish has been so slow in picking up the HDTV Starz.

The price increase just had the effect of having me re-evaluate the AEP. In a couple years HD DVDs will be out.

I am going to go to AT-180 and prepay a year.

Every little bit adds up. $1 here, $2 there, and a price increase most every year. I remember when they raised rates last year on the premiums $1 (if I am not mistaken) plus $2 on the basic package(s).

Stargazer said:
What channel is in AEP that is not in AT180 or the four premium movie packages?
I asked a similar question on the other forum and got flamed. :eek:

NBATV is the only channel you get in AlmostEP that you don't get with AT150/180 + the four movie packages.

BTW: E*'s retailer site has the new price sheets out, and the prices without locals have changed. AT120 up $1 to $34.99, AT180 up $2 to $44.95, and AlmostEP up $3 to $77.99. Locals alone remains $5.99 .

The wording on the price sheets give the prices without locals:
If you don’t qualify for local channels, your
price for America’s Top 120 will be $34.99/mo.
Note the words "qualify for" - not "qualify for or desire". Forced locals? Only time will tell. :(

JL

MikeD-C05 said:
I still don't see how they arrived at three dollars. The other packages change about one cent on 120 and 1.01 on the top 180 so that is 1.02 where does the other 1.98 come from? It looks like to me they are just making up for the so called free dvr fee on the AEP.

I can hear Charlie snorting all the way to the bank...... Seweeeee!!!!!! :rolleyes:

But isn't there some equipment that is not subject to the DVR fee.....
So those subscribers aren't getting crap free....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)